1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P bass electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LazyGecko, Dec 23, 2013.

1. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

I'm looking to upgrade my p bass by adding new electronics. Anyone know of what I should look for or be aware of? Thanks

Also if I wanted to add a J pup how should I do that and what would I need to buy? Would anyone recommend I go DIY or pay someone else to do it?
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    There are plenty of great options available. Bartolini, Fender, EMG, Seymour Duncan, Lindy Fralin to name a few. I recently swapped my Jazz Bass pickups for a set of Lindy Fralin and love the way my bass sounds.

If you want to add a J pick up you will need a router to cut a hole for it. If this is something that you are not familiar with, I would recommend bringing the bass to someone who has experience making this kind of modification.
  3. mfowlkes

mfowlkes

As far as p pickups, I personally recommend Aguilar. I've used Nordstrand and Fralins in all of my p basses until I discovered the beauty in Aguilar.

I recently converted a road worn p bass to a PJ setup with Aguilar p and hum canceling J pickups. You can purchase j bridge routing templates from StewMac. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1388075328.898688.jpg
  4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Greetings from the South,

Halt. Do not chop up the PBass. Check out the John East P-Retro. Its a straight drop in with no routing. Have the choice of going passive or active (which keeps the PBass sound but on steroids without changing the stock passive sound). Battery recharges like a cell phone once every month or so and will still play passive if it runs out of juice. It's great.

Rezdog