1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P Bass EMG Install

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by OHBandit, Feb 20, 2013.

1. OHBandit

OHBandit Supporting Member

Recently picked up a Squire Matt Freeman P Bass from a TB member. I drop tuned it to B.E.A.D. with a set of RotoSounds. I decided I wanted to try a set of EMG pickups so I picked up a set. Got them yesterday in the mail and started putting them in.
    I noticed real quick when I got the pickguard off and started looking at what I had to work with that there was NO way the 9v battery was going to fit. How do they expect you to get that thing in there?
    Well I am a machinist by trade and I have a Bridgeport mill in my garage so easy fix. I milled a pocket in the back of the body to hold the 9v battery. I made an aluminum cover plate that attaches with 2 screws to cover it just like my old Stingray 5.
    The cool thing is now to change the battery I don't have to take the pickguard off. You can see in the pics below that the front of the battery pocket just breaks out enough into the wiring channel for the 9v battery wiring to run through.
    I will probably make another cover out of black plastic material later on.
    Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

• p1.JPG
      p1.JPG
      File size:
      194 KB
      Views:
    • p2.JPG
      p2.JPG
      File size:
      133.5 KB
      Views:
  2. OHBandit

Here are a few more.

Attached Files:

• p3.JPG
      p3.JPG
      File size:
      145.9 KB
      Views:
    • p4.JPG
      p4.JPG
      File size:
      158.5 KB
      Views:
  3. OHBandit

And the cover plate. Oh yeah...the EMG's sound killer!

Attached Files:

• p5.JPG
      p5.JPG
      File size:
      122.5 KB
      Views:
  4. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Gold Supporting Member

Really...better than the Duncan's?!?! Nice! :bassist:
  5. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Gold Supporting Member

Had you thought about putting a battery box in place of the face plate?Like Spector uses for their USA basses. Great job BTW! It's nice to have skills and machines that'll do the job. :D And not afraid to do it too.
  6. OHBandit

Yes I thought about a battery box and could still do that down the road. this was just the easiest for time being.