P bass fans: What is your preferred fingerboard radius and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by petrus61, Jan 10, 2014.

1. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Particularly pertaining to 9.5 vs 7.25. I'd like to from people who own or have owned both types and what their preferences are, pros and cons, etc.

Why did 9.5 become the norm on contemporary Fender instruments? Are there advantages aside from string bending? Do you find there isn't much difference? I own one of each and I find there is a substantial difference. Just curious on others takes on it.

2. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

What, no poll?
    I kinda like 7.25 myself.

3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I'm partial to 7.25 as well. I'm posting from the app so I couldn't start a poll:(

I guess if we were to ask Fender, they'd say most people prefer a 9.5, since its their most standardized radi.

4. keithbroussard

keithbroussard Supporting Member

I'm a fan of the 7.25 radius as well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Low end Lover since '78 Supporting Member

Something just feels more natural about 7.25. I have both and still kind of dig the 9.5. Though if I had a choice...7.25.

7. vin*tone

vin*tone

I definitely prefer the 7.25.

They changed it in the mid 80s I think.

8. Linnin

Linnin

I started on and grew up with 7.25 radius Precision necks. My '76 P is, of course, 7.25.

My Jazz is 9.5, and I do like it quite a lot.

What I have found is that 7.25 is much more comfortable to play on the first five frets. After that 9.5 is perfect from 5 up to the 12th fret.

After that a flatter 12" radius would be better, especially if you are playing any high cords up there. I have a Yamaha 5-string with a 12" radius and I think the neck stinks below the 12th fret, and is way too flat in the meat of the axe from 3rd to 9th fret.

So a compound radius neck is really called for, and that is exactly what Fender is doing on some models. I think a compound 7.25" - 12" radius would be close to perfection.

9. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    7.25" for me, too. It fills my hand better, freeing my fingers to do their job. Which they can then do more quickly.

10. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

I like the 9.5 to me flatter the better.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

I prefer 7.25", though the current radius is OK. I don't like flatter fingerboards than that.

As a traditional bass player, and not a "bass guitarist," I tend to transpose as far down as I can on four flatwound strings and stay out of guitar territory to the extent possible, so I think there may be a point to the previous comment about 7.25" being more comfortable for the low end. I think I've sensed this more than actually thought about it.

I've also got a permanently injured fretting hand with short fingers to begin with, and 7.25" seems to accommodate that better. Not sure.

12. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

I agree, the flatter the better. 12" is the flattest I've played and have ever heard of for a bass neck.

Classical guitars have almost no radius at all and I don't really understand why guitars and bass necks have to have a radius.

Banjos and mandolins are completely flat.

Many guitards like 16" radius necks.

One big advantage with a flat or flatter radius is the pickups are better spaced for each string. Example, on a Jazz Bass with a 7.5" radius, the A and D string are almost twice as far away from the magnet poles as the E and G string.

Also, the flatter radius means the bridge saddles are not all jacked up for A and D strings.

My opinion is that 9.5 is better than 7.5 and 12 inch is better yet. The flatter the better.

13. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

Flatter the better. I prefer 12, but 9.5 is good. I don't mind 7.25 if the neck is wide. I can't stand 7.25 on a Jazz bass because it feels too round. I can play faster and more comfortably with a flat board.

14. UK Philip

UK Philip

never tried the 7.25 but i'm pretty comfortable on mine (even with small hands).

don't think there's much in it, really.

15. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The flatter the better for me. 12" or more is my preference.

16. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

I never thought about it like this, but it makes perfect sense.

17. Batmensch

Batmensch

Same here. The most comfy playing P-style bass I ever played was an SX Ursa 1 that had a 15" radius.

This one:
    [​IMG]

18. LouieLouie16

LouieLouie16

My spector has a 16" radius, my g&l has a 12", both are very comfy. When I play slap style the 12 feels the best for those left hand ghost note thumps and bumps IMO.

In regards to the sizes you asked for, OP, I like 9.5. Little more comfortable if you are moving around the neck.

19. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

I prefer flatter necks - on a 7.25" I can't see my fingers playing the D&G strings if I look down!

20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Lots of manufacturers offer a 14" radius on 4 strings, I am pretty sure StingRays are 14".

Personally I like a compound radius. :D I guess 7.5" would do for a Fender though, I honestly do not care that much.

21. SidMau

SidMau

I think all status basses have a 16" radius, so basses do indeed go flatter than 12"