P bass help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZombiBoi95, Apr 5, 2014.

1. ZombiBoi95

ZombiBoi95

Ok so at this time I have an American vintage 62 RI jazz bass which I just love. Its got an alder body, maple neck and a rosewood fretboard. I got it refinished in dakota red (was in oly white) and put custom shop 60s pickups in it. It also has roundwounds on it aswell but I think I'm gunna put some Thomastik infield flats on it to keep it sounding old school.

I also have an ovation acoustic bass which If my amp ain't set up ill generally play at home or at any acoustic gigs i might do.

I also have a few other basses 1 of which a cij fender 51 RI p bass. It's quite nice but since I got my jazz, I've lost my love for it and I barely play it anymore so I think I'm gunna get rid of it and my other few (crappy starter basses)

I'm thinking of getting a 5 string fender jazz (ash and maple) for my jazz needs like when playing slap as my 62 wouldnt sound right with flats. but before I get that I need some advice on a p bass.

The American standard p basses are lovely. But the neck is a little chubby for my liking as I'm now used o a jazz. I haven't Tryed one yet but I here the American specials have a slimmer neck on them. So to get to my point would an American standard body and a American special neck work? Would they fit? I'd get an alder body, maple neck an rosewood fretboard as I like the warm, round sound with the tone control almost all the way down.

Any input much appreciated

2. Radio Face

Radio Face

I switch from my skimpy J bass necks to my chunky P bass necks with no problem. Instead of complaining about different bass necks or bodies, people should just strap on their basses and play them!

3. ZombiBoi95

ZombiBoi95

I wouldn't mind a standard p bass neck if i wasnt playing for a long time but when u play for 3 and a half hours straight it was a bit of a struggle with my 51.

4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I have a set on a fretless and they are very nice. I also use GHS flats on a fretted J and love them. But, if I were to recommend awesome flats (again on a J), I'd say LaBella Deep Talkn' Flats.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

If you're used to a jazz neck, why not go for a Lakland Duck Dunn. The Skyline models are decent and are re slightly less than an American Standard P.

The Duck has a 1.5 nut width and bound and blocked neck. I'm not sure what jazz necked Precisions Fender is making right now.

7. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    No, you can't say that, anyone has (the right to choose) their own preference of what they'd like to play best, even down to more subtle issues than neck or bodies type,..and anyone is different. We have to respect the difference and the question for help, at least if we can't yet give any help. It's beautiful like that.

To the OP:
    don't you want to try using Jazz neck on Precision Body,..things like that?

8. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

Any clips of you playing live? I would love to hear how you sound on a P with the tone rolled back that far. Please share if u do. Thank you.

9. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

The P Bass necks come in a variety of nut widths and thicknesses. If it's the nut width you are worried about ( I think they range on a P from 1.63 to 1.75 inches at the nut) you will just have to find one the right size to fit you. I do believe that most of the American necks are interchangable and if you are slapping , you will probably want a neck that's a bit wider at the nut than a jazz neck which I think are about 1.50 at the nut. Also , Jazz necks are interchangable with a P neck. If it's the thickness of the neck you are talking about , I think most of the older necks were a bit thinner than the modern ones but there are exceptions so you will have to take that on a neck by neck basis. If you don't like a thick neck , you will probably want to avoid "C" style necks. If you Google P basses through Guitar center or other places like it , they will usually have the spec's for the various necks listed with each type of instrument. Even the same style basses will have slight differences between necks , so you want to try before you buy if at all possible.

10. veebass

veebass Supporting Member

Try a 70s P Bass with a B width neck- in between a C width and a Jazz.

11. ZombiBoi95

ZombiBoi95

Unfortunately not but on my amp I do push the treble and mids so it's not like pure bass

Cheers for all the input guys

12. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

I would play an American Special if you can first to see if you like it.

I would imagine swapping out bodies and necks is not going to be needed as these are decent playing and sounding basses