1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P-Bass Magnets: two are reversed!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by juniormarbles, Nov 4, 2012.

1. juniormarbles

juniormarbles

I have what I believe to be an all-original 1961 P-Bass. I had trouble with the output level of just one string (after careful adjustments of the pick up heights), so I put a magnetometer on all eight magnets, to get a reading on their individual magnetic strength and polarities.

To my surprise, two adjacent magnets- those for the E-string- were out of polarity with the two of the A string (of the same coil.) The second coil's magnets, for the D and G strings, were the same polarity as the E string magnets. With other words, 2 magnets on one coil are not the same polarity as the other two on the same coil.

My question: was this an assembly mistake, or was Fender trying to subdue the output of the E string by reversing magnets just for that string?
    I have no reasonable other explanation.

If any of you have a vintage P-Bass and a magnet handy (does the same as a magnetometer) I'd love to find out whether my bass is the only one with this configuration.

Thanks,
    JM