P-Bass Mod

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pedrodelawasp, Dec 9, 2013.

1. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Hey forum, I have an old 80s Encore P-Bass, Black with a maple on maple neck, nice skunk stripe on the back of the FAT neck. I'm going to fit it with two mini humbuckers, one right on the original pup position and one at the bridge. I'm going single volume, single tone and an on-on-on 3-way. The pups are 2-wire types. The diagram at the bottom is how I think I'm going to wire it up. Pics to follow.

[​IMG]

2. bolophonic

bolophonic

3. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Pictures of the bass and some bits

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Well, I'm done!

Modified the pickguard to allow the pickup ring to sit within it and routed for the bridge pup, drilled a couple of holes and wired everything up.

Obviously there were gaps from the original Precision pup shape in the guard, so I filled those areas with little offcuts then covered the whole thing with tape stripes - and did the headstock to match!

Here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

Looking over the wiring, I would suggest putting the tone control before the volume pot. I had replaced the pots in my pbass a while ago, and thought I put put them back the way they were. A few months in, I was wondering why my bass sounded like ****. I opened up the cover, and found I put the tone after the volume, instead of before. After I switched them back around, I was blown away by the sound. So much less muddiness as I rolled the volume down, and an increase in clarity and dynamics. Granted, I only have one pickup, not two, but that won't make a difference since your pickups are properly wired. Took me a moment to see the switch was SPDT, not 3PDT, as the ground wire to the switch body kinda threw me off. I haven't seen a circuit drawn that way in a while, I mostly use schematics.

8. Salamenster

Salamenster

That's pretty awesome! Great job!

9. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

Looks nice. But the important question is, how does it sound?

-Jake

10. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

It sounds great, Jake! Like a fat Jazz or a T-Bird with more attack. Will have a chance to try it out at higher volume in the studio next week hopefully.

Re: putting the tone before the volume in the wiring, I've never seen or heard of that before, hadn't considered it.

P.S. Having just done a quick search, I see it is often done with P-Basses as stock, but I wouldn't have imagined it would make such a difference to a P as the pots are, in essence, parallel. With a Jazz, though, it could change things a fair bit, but I don't think it would apply to my bass as the pots are connected to the 3-way as opposed top to the pups.