P bass neck help. Options?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by itsnottruerufus, Mar 20, 2014.

1. itsnottruerufus

itsnottruerufus

Hey guys, so I recently picked up a Roadworn 50's P to satisfy my craving for a maple boarded P, with plans to slap a black guard on it and 70'sify it a bit (my dream bass would be a mocha or sunburst 70's P with a maple board), but I'm having a few issues so far. I love the look and feel of it, it feels great and worn in, although I do find myself trying to baby the nitro a little more than I expected. My main issue is the neck. On one hand, I knew going into it that the neck wouldn't be as glossy as I like (I really like the super glossy necks on like, the Classic Vibes, Classic Series and CIJ fenders) but I'm having a bit of an issue with my hand cramping while playing it. So I'm presented with the option of either flipping it for something with a neck I'm more into, both feel and size wise, or trying to get used to the neck. I've had it for about a month now and its still an issue.

I have a Classic Vibe 60's P I love the neck on so maybe something like the Matt Freeman would be more my style?

Thoughts?
  2. Kmose

Kmose Supporting Member

I love the light weight, the nitro finish and the tone of my roadworn Precision. However I prefer the 1.62 neck width of my MIA P over the Roadworn's 1.75 neck. I don't know why so many builders like Lull or Lakland go with the 1.75 profile. The 1.62 just seems perfect to me.
  3. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

My bass buddy at work and I were just saying at lunch how
    much we both prefer the 1.75 nut width basses . We both also have 1.5 and 1.625 as well. So...
  4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Honestly, IMHO the classic 1.75" nut P-bass neck takes a somewhat disciplined technique. A month is really not that long unless you are playing for a couple of hours a day. Don't give up. Keep at it. Getting fluent on that plank will pay you back in making all wider neck instruments available technique-wise—think Lakland, most 5-strings, etc.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    just pickup a Geddy Lee neck (faster smaller and easier to play) and sell the old neck...problems solved.....OR......get a 1983 era maple neck.......MOST of them are the same as CV neck.....
  7. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz
    Sounds like you may have some technique issues. If played correctly, you should not be cramping. Bad posture or muscling down are two reason you might feel discomfort.

Take a few lessons and get your technique cleaned up. You will be fine with that neck.
  8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Agreed. The reverse is also true...I'm finally getting used to the 1.62 nut on modern Precisions after years of playing on 1.75's. I feel like fingerboard radius also plays a small role.
  9. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

It sure is easy to bounce back and forth between a 1.75 neck and a 5er. My hands aren't large and I do fine, on the other hand I struggle with a 1.50 (cramping)