P-bass neck, Tele-bass body...HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Twangysteel, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Twangysteel

Twangysteel

Hey Guys, This is My first post so go easy on Me lol.

Ok, Here's My problem...My GF got a Squier VM T-bass that We had wrapped in leather(Like Waylon Jennings Telecaster)The bass turned out great...cosmetically, The playability left much to be desired,
    So today while We were out I picked up a throw-away Squier P-bass with a RW FB(which is both of Our preference)and like a moron I was under the impression that Their necks would directly interchange(DOH!), So here's the issue I hate the maple neck on this Bass, so...I want to adapt the P-bass neck one way or another...But I could really use some advice on how to go about it? The two most extreme issues that I see are the depth(length)of the neck pocket and the difference in the neck heels?...is there a stable way to shim the length of the neck? and also how much trouble am I going to have intonating this thing after all is said and done?.

I really, REALLY appreciate any help Y'all can give...like I said, She hates the maple neck and I want to get this thing on there for Her.

Thanks,
    Josh G.
  2. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

putting a p-bass neck on a tele bass body will require a very slight route in the heel of the neck pocket!
    a p-bass neck has a rounded end....the tele bass body has a straight heeled neck pocket at the end!

its not a hard mod.....someone that works with wood or a local luthier can help you
  3. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP Supporting Member

I wish I could be of more assistance but after reading your post I would STRONGLY recommend taking the bass to a local luthier. After all is said and done, you might think that maple neck looked alright in the first place as the work will probably cost a little bit of money, although I am not sure on the going rates of a neck pocket reroute. How does the maple neck leave something to be desired in terms of playability??? I mean sure it would have a slightly brighter sound but other than that it is purely cosmetic. Are the cosmetics that big of an issue?
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Fitting the neck just requires making sure the pocket and neck base fit.

For the intonation - you need to make sure scale length is correct when the neck is installed. If the body and neck both started as 34", then I'd focus on making sure that the pocket in the body is cut to place the neck at the right position to maintain correct scale length. Since you need to rout the body slightly anyway, that seems easier than moving the bridge.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

You don't need to shim the length of the neck. There are thousands of basses out there with a gap at the neck heel. The pickguard covers it, so it goes unnoticed.

For your intonation, measure from the 12th fret (doesn't have to be there, but it's an easy point to reference on both necks) to the heel of the neck. Do that on both necks.

If you get the same measurement, your replacement neck will intonate. Live with the gaps where the rounded neck heel butts the square body, OR make or get a custom pickguard made to fit the rounded neck heel instead of the square neck pocket.
  7. mcnach

mcnach

If the T bass is 34" scale (I have the feeling it's a shorter scale! Check first!) You could look for a Squier Precision Mike Dirnt. They have the same type of neck, but rosewood, and they're really cheap used. That one might be a straight swap.
  8. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

I would just return the tele bass and get another bass that has a neck with a rounded heel neck to swap out. Too much trouble to bed messing with if you ask me.