1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

P-Bass Neck VS Jazz..A Question of Stability?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowphatbass, Nov 16, 2012.

1. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I learned to really "play" on a Jazz and have no problem with a 1.5" width but the last few Jazz necks I've worked with have seemed a bit less stable and not as solid/rigid as I like in terms of holding a set-up through temperature and string changes. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw, I do have a '75 "A neck" Precision that's never needed an adjustment but it's a bit "chunkier" than a modern J.

I guess I'm wondering if today's Jazz width necks are typically that much more temperamental than their wider counterparts. How much more stability so you actually get from the extra 1/8"-1/4"? Maybe the contour/depth of the grip is a factor as well?

I have a hunch that I just happened to work with a few necks that weren't "all that". Either way I'd be more inclined to choose a 1 5/8" or even 1 3/4" if I were in the market for one based upon my experience lately. FTR, I've been dealing with non-graphite reinforced necks.

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Were they US necks? US necks are reinforced MIM's aren't.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.