1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P-Bass Neck VS Jazz..A Question of Stability?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowphatbass, Nov 16, 2012.

1. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

I learned to really "play" on a Jazz and have no problem with a 1.5" width but the last few Jazz necks I've worked with have seemed a bit less stable and not as solid/rigid as I like in terms of holding a set-up through temperature and string changes. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw, I do have a '75 "A neck" Precision that's never needed an adjustment but it's a bit "chunkier" than a modern J.

I guess I'm wondering if today's Jazz width necks are typically that much more temperamental than their wider counterparts. How much more stability so you actually get from the extra 1/8"-1/4"? Maybe the contour/depth of the grip is a factor as well?

I have a hunch that I just happened to work with a few necks that weren't "all that". Either way I'd be more inclined to choose a 1 5/8" or even 1 3/4" if I were in the market for one based upon my experience lately. FTR, I've been dealing with non-graphite reinforced necks.
  2. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Were they US necks? US necks are reinforced MIM's aren't.