1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

P bass or MMHH

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peace Cee, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Aloha friends,
    This question is only for those who feel like "playing along". First, let me say that the Most High has blessed me with nice basses to play.
    Here is my "quandary"
    Tonight my band is palying a highly anticipated show. We haven't played for a while (strategically), and we are releasing a single from the upcoming e.p.
    My "signature tone" for this project has been my P. The old ep was mostly recorded with a P (One song with a Bongo).
    Recently, I aquired my dream bass, a MM Stingray 5 HH. I freaking love it. I want to play it tonight because I love it. However, I also love to play my P which also sounds great, and it is the bass I just have good, clean, simple fun on. We are also introducing a new keyboard player.
    Which one? Shiney new baby? or tried and true fun machine? Both are "fun", but for some reason I don't really even feel like I have to think with my P.

2. allanhearn

allanhearn

bring them both and have a blast!!!!!!!!

3. StevieMac

StevieMac

I'd start with the new toy for sure but have my old friend close by just in case.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Depends on how much your rig helps you too and how much you trust your live instincts.

The 'Ray, while very fine is new...the Precision is well, plug & play, tweak the amp for volume.

Go with what you know you can manage, and keep complications to a minimum. Then you can concentrate on the performance.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I find that I much prefer active dual DC pickup basses such as Stingrays, Roscoes, Foderas, etc. live but tend to record with an old P bass.

But in your case, I would only use the Stingray if you have had plenty time playing it in rehersal. No point adding the stress of screwed up levels or constant amp/PA tweaking to a gig like yours IMO.

Good luck with the gig and EP!

7. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    tbh if I had a stingray in my arson of low end, I'd probably use that the most

8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member