P-Bass pickup and a humbucker???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WoodyH, Mar 1, 2014.

1. WoodyH

WoodyH

I've been searching for a bass that has a P-Bass style split pickup in it's standard "middle" position, and a humbucker in the bridge. Schecter has the Diamond P. ESP has a couple with the EMG 35P4, which as many of you know is a P-Bass style split pickup in a soapbar housing. I like active pickups, but they aren't my deciding factor. I play a 4 string. Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. Basstardus

Basstardus

You can also look for a Maruszczyk model Jake
    http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/basses/m-jake/4-string/1704-jake-4a-black-sugar110260
    you have 5 and 6 string versions, with all types od wood combination, as you can see, Delano and Glockenklang actives, you can talk to Adrian via email directly, he is outstanding guy, reply's quickly, two of my friends have his basses, I also have two custom made basses but different luthier, and Maruszczyk is extrodenary, in Europe, he is a big name.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

4. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

[​IMG]

Fender American Deluxe Pre-2010
  5. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

6. HeebHammer70

HeebHammer70

I installed a MM in the bridge position of my MIM Pbass. Sounds fat!

Attached Files:

7. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

^ Sweet! ^ What kind of pup is that?
  8. HeebHammer70

HeebHammer70

Seymour Duncan SPB4 (Steve Harris model) and EMG MMHZ (the passive version)
  9. archtop2

archtop2

10. WoodyH

WoodyH

Good ideas, and some nice basses as well. I guess I could always use a router on my P-Bass. I don't "think" I would screw it up too bad. I checked out Carvin as well. I started building my bass...and got greedy, lol $1,600 later and I had one sweet bass built (in my head anyway) Carvin is fairly reasonable for basically a fully customized bass or guitar. Thanks for the help!
  11. GingerConor

GingerConor

Sandberg VM-4, check em out.
  12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Woody, does it necessarily have to be a Precision body? Your question just gave me a brainstorm along the lines of a parts-bass project I just wrapped up recently. I had a Jazz body turned into a P/J using the pickguard of a Blacktop Jazz as the routing template.

You got me thinking that one could probably do the same to a Modern Player Jazz, but instead of routing a new slot for the bridge pickup, you could just route-and-replace the neck pup with a split-coil P-pup. You could also do the same to a Blacktop Precision, if that's the body and neck that suits you best.

On the bizarre chance you decide to go this route :p, do be aware that the Blacktop Jazz's neck pickup is a little closer to the neck than that of a standard P-bass. I think the Reggie Hamilton Jazz has it's neck pickup in the oft-talked-about "sweet spot". So I suppose that pickguard would be a better template, if you want to maintain that pup placement.
  13. Davo-London

Davo-London

Nordstrand do three pickup combos with a Precision pickup and one of theres is a humbucker solution using a big split humbucker.

Davo
  14. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I like the EMG P4 and P5 pickups, but they don't sound like traditional P bass pickups if that's what you're after. I have a 40P5/40DC in an Ibanez SR and mainly play with the P5 soloed, but it doesn't sound like a P bass.
  15. drTSTingray

drTSTingray

I tried one of these - a 5 string - it was good. They do come up as used items and it is a Fender factory P bass with a humbucker at the bridge if you hadn't picked up on this. Any idea which years they offered these? The latest version has a single coil at the bridge?
  16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 to the pre-2010 American Deluxe Precision. My '02 is still my favorite player. Look into these if you want.
  17. amimbari

amimbari

I went the more un-traditional route and installed a guitar-style bass humbucker in 2 of mine since Jackson in the 80's had a 4pole guitar pickup and plenty of their USA units came that way from the factory. The possibilities are endless when it comes to guitar pickups you can swap in and out and not that 1screw/2screw MM looking item where selection is limited, or the double-j like a lot of Korean basses used quite a bit but limits you as you can only fit "xxx pickup" in the bass with that particular route. With a slightly larger trim ring, it covered the J-hole quite nicely.

[​IMG]
  18. Papazita

Papazita

[​IMG]

New Carvin Xccelerator X44

With video
  19. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    One of the best stock factory Basses I've ever owned…..

Attached Files:

20. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    Oh Yeah…. The one I built (Warmoth…) Bill Lawrence P-46 and the bridge pickup from an Am. Dlx. P Bass It's a 5er

Attached Files: