1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

P bass pickup height help?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Swift713, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Swift713

Swift713

Hey folks, I searched but couldn't find anything specific on this. Im switching out the pups on an SX P bass and having trouble with the height. On the stock pups there are springs on the screws that hold them up. The Basslines I'm installing fall out of the pup covers into the body route. I assume there's something I should be putting under the pups to hold them up. I don't recall if the Basslines came with anything other than the screws. Thanks :)

2. line6man

line6man

Using springs on the screws is not the proper way to mount pickups. You are supposed to use foam under the pickups.

Some people have trouble finding foam, and cut up mousepads, instead. That works equally well.

3. wisconsindead

wisconsindead Supporting Member

might as well ask while we're on the topic, about how far should the pickups be from the strings on a p bass?

4. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

7. Swift713

Swift713

I've got some self adhesive PVC "camper tape" that should work.

8. aphexafx

That should work. Sometimes that type of foam loses its ability to expand, though.

I think that the perfect foam for this is the closed cell stuff that comes inside Pelican cases. It's the perfect balance of rigid and collapsible.

9. wisconsindead

wisconsindead Supporting Member

10. Swift713

Swift713

Ok, so I got the pups in and after a couple wires falling off and soldering them back on I got it all together and ... No sound. So eventually I found the wiring diagram from SD and fixed my mistake. Now the volume knob does almost nothing, I can't tell if it's changing the volume very slightly or some sort of very subtle tone thing. Is it possible that I fried the volume pot or something? I resoldered the wires a few times trouble shooting.

11. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

<-----this guy is awesome.

12. Swift713

Swift713

Ooo, thanks. I think I need some copper braid.

13. Swift713

Swift713

Well, I cleaned up my mess to the best of my ability. It sounds good but the volume still doesn't go all the way off. It gets pretty quiet but not off. I think Im gonna quit while Im ahead.

14. Electrophonic

Electrophonic

Never experienced that with the volume. Call a factory if you dont get an answer here. At the moment I am stuck with a solderless project where the full volume on one pot actually lowers the total volume. Oh, well, lessons learned after a while, I guess!

15. aphexafx

Yah solder braid is awesome. If you're wired correctly then your volume pot SHOULD completely short the wiper to the ground lug...sooooooo you might have a bad pot there. If you don't mind unsoldering some stuff you can test it for zero resistance between the center and ground lug when its in the zero-volume position.