1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

P bass pickup height

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duderus, Jan 27, 2013.

1. duderus

duderus

What do u recommend for a vintage pickup bass height? How does one adjustit on a vintage 76p bass? I took spartan there is nothing there.

Or should I just leave them

2. llldino

llldino

There are specs on pickup height on fender's website. To adjust pickup height, either loosen or tighten the screws on either end of the pickup. You can play around with them, basically whatever sound good to you.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player Supporting Member

One thing that should be noticed about adjusting a P-bass pickup's height is that, unless the fingerboard is completely flat (radius = ∞), the middle part of the pickup should be higher (closer to the strings) than the extremes (Of course, assuming that the strings' height has been adjusted so they follow the fingerboard radius). Many "setup experts" in my town set the P pickup height so it looks perfectly flat, with its surface parallel to the body of the instrument. Again, it only should be done like that on basses with flat fingerboards (which are not so common).

4. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

I liked to use 5/64 on the E and A strings, 5/64 or 3/32 on the D (depends which one balances better), and 2mm on the G. This should be done after the strings are set in proper height from the fretboard following the radius of the board. The pickup will have a curve that matches the fret board, kind of like an inverted V.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Adjust to personal taste for best sound to you. just like with any other pup.