1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P Bass Pickup in Gibson EB-3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KablesP, Jan 16, 2014.

1. KablesP

KablesP

Is it possible to put a P pickup in the neck of an EB-3? I dont need super deep reggae bass tones and I will have an active 3 band EQ as well to add some bass if I need it.

Just wondering because most Mudbucker replacements are pretty expensive, and its something you don't see all the time.

Also, this is a project bass with an Aria EB-3 copy body and a Jazz copy neck.
  2. Rusty the Scoob

Rusty the Scoob

Anything is possible if you don't mind routing the body. Getting it to look nice is a whole other problem, and who knows how it'll sound.

If it were me modding this bass, I'd be looking at budget-priced soap-bar shaped pickups.
  3. KablesP

KablesP

I was looking at some soapbar pickups but most of them seemed to be the wrong size and I don't really want to rout the bass...yet at least. I had originally planned to put a P pickup in the middle but decided to just go with 2 pickups.

I have read that someone said a P in the neck wouldnt be all that different from a Dimarzio Model One.
  4. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I bought a new Gibson Ripper in 1976. Although it had more highs and lows than my 68 Jazz bass, it didn't punch through the din of the hard rock band I played in. I found a 64 P bass and got rid of the Ripper.

But my best friend had one as did his brother. I routed and mounted a Dimarzio P pickup in one and a Fender P pickup in the other. Neither used the mid control, so I wired a volume for the P pickup in it's place.

Both loved their Rippers after the mod. The P punched through and mixed well with the Gibson pickups.

Go for it.
  5. pfox14

pfox14

Well, it certainly won't sound or look like an EB-3 after you get done with it. If you don't care about that, then go for it.
  6. KablesP

KablesP

I am not concerned about the look. I don't need it to sound like an original EB3. I just want something unique that sounds good to me. Another thing that will change that classic EB tone is that I used a standard jazz neck so its not a short scale bass anymore.

I normally use a Fender Jazz Bass Special with a P/J setup and while it sounds really great, I want something with a little more bottom end hence the EB3. However, I hate muddy bass tones. Bassy and clear is fine but once it loses definition its just bleh.