P Bass pickup replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by aris17561, Feb 25, 2014.

1. aris17561

aris17561

Hello everyone . This is my first thread so , nice to discuss with you.

Firtly I am not a bassist. I have a P Bass just for my recordings. I am a guitarist. I wanted to upgrade my Fender P bass for having the best performance of my Bass in my recordings.

I play metal , I like a tight , bigsounded , not boomy sound from my bass. It is a fender p bass mexico !!!!

Thank you !!!

2. edencab

edencab

what year is your MIM?....I have 2004...I get big boomy whenever I need......play with bass controls, amp controls, .....great pups IMHO

3. aris17561

aris17561

It is a 2003 fender mexico p bass... I dont like the boomy sound , I like a bid low end though !!! As A metalhead :bassist:

4. Lo-E

Lo-E

You might want to experiment with the hight of the pickup as well before changing pickups altogether. It's free and you'd be surprised how much it can change the sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. edencab

edencab

sorry mis-read.....I find I can get either boomy or not.....lots of versatility between controls, by turning up/down neck vs bridge and over all tone......neck and low tone, reggae, bridge and high and I am Jaco playing Birdland.....and everything in between

on the other hand I have heard great things about these, that I want to put on my Yamaha someday :D

http://www.wildepickups.com/Bass_Pickups.html

7. Crackle

Crackle Supporting Member

For what the original poster is describing, I highly recommend the Seymour Duncan SPB-4 Steve Harris pickup. It is a direct replacement for Precision basses and it is fantastic all-around. Not boomy . . . it is very balanced with a nice full midrange.

8. Salamenster

Salamenster

Mis-reading is a common habit of yours, innit?

9. edencab

edencab

huh?. common habit?..have you seen me mis-read before?......

...just missed he doesn't want boomy, thought he wanted boomy.....yup once in a while I do mis-read .....

10. aris17561

aris17561

I am surprised that some of you suggest me not to change the stock . Are the stock that good ? I am completely irrelevant cause I am a guitarist . But want to do recording with the maximum possible performance of my bass ...

11. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

If you're a guitarist, maybe your fingers aren't strong enough to get the string moving...

I am joking, of course, but there's some truth to it. Do you play with a pick or fingers? Also, what is your recording and playback method? It's possible that you're losing something on input or output. A recording rig optimized for guitar will probably not work so well for bass.

12. aris17561

aris17561

Ha ha it's true that my fingers are not so strong so I play with pick . I am recording just with the bass - sound card - daw ( amplitube )

13. Salamenster

Salamenster

He has stated a number of times that he has a P bass and you start talking about a jazz. Just sayin'. It's not helping his course.

OP: Go EMG actice pickups: serious grit, far from boomy.

14. aris17561

aris17561

Mm I consider of emg but the only think I think of is that when I have to change batteries I will have to remove the pickguard . Except the emg , what about bartolini ? I am near to emg but just want to check more option before I buy an emg set ...

15. Camaro

Camaro

I have a MiM Fender P-Bass from 2010 and I think the PU is fine.

Maybe you should experiment with differed strings first.
    Try Light Stainless steel round-wounds, they are more flexible then the standard size, maybe better for someone used to tiny strings.
    You might even want to try Very Light 30-90 strings.

16. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

Make sure the bass is set-up well. Try pickup height adjustments as well. And different strings do often make a big difference.

That said, I've got experience with the following P-pickups:

Squier Affinity stock pup --> replaced with Wilde P-46 pup. Wilde has stronger output, very low noise, better highs, and bass that is both bigger (doesn't fuzz-out and compress on strong hits on low notes) and more controlled (sounds less boomy than the stock pup did). That said, the stock pup didn't sound all that bad to me, but the Wilde sounds noticeably better and is more responsive. Tone isn't particularly vintage or "modern" -- harmonics are clear, but it's not zingy.

EMG (old 80s-current pup, not the new X series). Very tight, very clear. Battery lasts a LONG time in these -- you might change it once or twice per year. Some people knock these for being sterile-sounding or for a compressed dynamic range/response. All I can say is that, in my bass, the sound, while distinctly modern, is anything but sterile, and I get excellent response to touch, hand placement, and how hard I hit the string. There's not a lot of bass inherent in the sound, but what's there is clean and of good quality, so it responds to EQ really well. You can dial in a lot of bass without things getting weird or flubby. I've never said this before, but I think it would be a great pickup for metal.

I'm also trying a set of RJ neos -- or will be, when I get them. Will post a review.

The EMGs are installed in my main player, a fretted P/J (with reversed P). The Wilde is in a fretless P bass.

17. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    All good feedback everyone. I say take it in baby steps. Start with trying to make the stock pickups work for you by playing with height and new good strings. I have several Fenders that I've kept the stock pickups in. A good preamp will serve you well in recording bass. The Seymour Duncan SPB-4 would be my recommendation too if you cannot dial in a good sound. Ask your bass player friends to get involved with your tone decisions. They will hear things you might not think are relevant.

18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

19. aris17561

aris17561

Thank you guys all of you. Does anybody ever tried the dimarzio dp122 ? I start to hear that the stock pup is fair bit just a question for the dimarzio !!!

20. Camaro

Camaro

21. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

Just for comparison, here are numbers on Seymour Duncan passive Precision pickups:

(Bass/Mid/Treble)

SPB-1 vint 5/4/5
    SPB-2 hot 5/6/5
    SPB-3 QP 7/4/6