1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P Bass pickups...looking for something between SPB3 and Model P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ERicks, Feb 22, 2014.

1. ERicks

ERicks

Hi, I'm a long time reader of this site, and a first time poster. I'm looking for a new pickup for one of my P basses right now. For a long time, my main (and only) bass was a Highway One P bass, that I put a Dimarzio Model P in years ago. Loved the sound, worked for a lot of different stuff, and still sounds good in there. Last fall I ended up buying a 1973 P bass that I loved the feel of, which had a passive Bartolini in it when I bought it-I did one tour with this and thought it was kind of broken sounding, so I bought a Duncan SPB3 Quarter Pounder and put it in. It wasn't my favorite at first, but it was all I had available without ordering something and I needed it fast.

So lately, I've had to switch between the two a lot for a gig and I notice a few things...the bass with the Model P is a LOT louder, and has a lot more punch and body to the sound. The bass with the Quarter Pounder is a little cleaner, and doesn't have that huge midrange punch, but has a nice treble response that the Model P doesn't have. I'm wondering if there is a pickup out there that is sonically somewhere between the two...I'd like something thick and punchy like the Model P, but maybe not quite as hot, and with a little more clarity in the high end. I play all sorts of different music and go for all sorts of different sounds, from Motown type stuff to post rock to heavy riffs with distortion. Any ideas? The Aguilar Hot P pickup has me kind of intrigued...
  2. ERicks

ERicks

I should also say, usually I run an Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal, on a low gain setting from the AGS side at all times, into a few different amps or just the PA...I have a bunch of other pedals that I'll use for various types of overdrive or fuzz, but right now I'm mainly using a ZVex Box of Rock as well as a few other different effects.
  3. bassfart

bassfart Gold Supporting Member

Aguilar " Hot " P pickup. Has all the midrange, tons of Lows, and some nice Highs. This pickup is LOUD.
  4. The_Phoenician

The_Phoenician

The Fender Original 62 RI seems to fit that description pretty well- it's nice and fat, with a nice treble response, especially on a bass strung with Rotosound Swing Bass strings.
  5. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
  6. Nightvision

Nightvision

Delano big poles PMVC
  7. ERicks

ERicks

Thanks for all the replies!