1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P bass pickups...prog, rock etc...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by raul, Feb 21, 2014.

1. raul

raul

Thinking of swapping pickups on my MIM P bass. Want a nice strong P bass tone for rock prog etc...I have lots of pedals for grit and grind etc.
    Thinking of:

Model P
    SPB-1
    Fender 62 Original
    Fralin or Lollar or Wilde

What would give me a really great sound for what I play? I love Geddy, Eantwhistle, Squire etc...want to make my own sound but based on those guys tone, which I love...but with my P bass...

Which pickups? One of those, or something else?
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Fralin all the way for me.
  3. Teacher

Teacher

I'd throw the Wilde P-46 into that mix.
  4. Jefff

Jefff

5. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    SPB-1 for me BUT 62 is great too! Especially if using effects...
  6. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Model P OR check out the SPB-4 by Seymour duncan. I know its a signature pickup, but its a very hot midrangey pickup that is perfect for what you are describing. I had the SPB-4 and it was a fantastic pickup for those kinds of sounds.
  7. raul

raul

Still trying to settle. Just want a good strong pickup! I've got pedals for the rest...
  8. DrowningBrian

DrowningBrian