1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P-bass players: answer me this!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Dec 29, 2013.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I feel like having the control knobs on the pickguard on any p-bass is kinda unnecessary. I was considering cutting off the tail part so it can replicate a jazz bass chrome control plate so whenever I have to adjust the truss rod on my American precision bass, I don't have to worry about somehow yanking out all the soldered electronics.

Does anyone do this or is it just me?
  2. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

I have seen it done before a few times.
  3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My 2002 AM Standard and my 2010 Precision V, there's notch cut (in the PG) at the heel so I can tweak the truss rod any ol' time and go right back to playing.

Don't know when they started doing that but...
  4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

wouldn't it make more sense to add a small route by the truss rod to make adjusting it easier?
  5. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

6. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Cut a little 'notch' in the pickguard to get a wrench in there!

[​IMG]
  7. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Thinking about doing that but me and someone from CL are trying to find a place to meet so he can trade his USA jazz bass for my USA Precision bass...don't want to do anything to my bass...yet...unless he bails..
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Nope, not me.

I recommend just buying the correct PG (one with the notch) instead.
  9. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yeah, I wouldn't hack up a perfectly good P Bass that way - I'd either notch out the PG, or buy one that's notched...

- georgestrings
  10. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

There's no clearance unless you rout into the wood, too. So get the PG and body routed at the same time.
  11. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

I hope you're not thinking of wiring the pickup straight to the jack and expecting it to sound like you have V and T dimed. One common P circuit uses 250kΩ pots with a 0.1µF cap. This setup definitely affects the pickup's tone dimed.
  12. mgb71

mgb71 Supporting Member

I did that on an Ibanez Roadstar but only because the pickguard was already broken.

[​IMG]
  13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

that...that looks really cool.
  14. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

No I'm just not a fan of the pickguard design in the sense that it's connected to the control knobs.
  15. jad

jad

Having the knobs on the pickguard doesn't bother me at all. Having the jack there is a problem for me. I'm always bumping it and flexing the guard. Lots of guys end up breaking them. You see a lot of P players use 90° guitar cords to deal with this. I took it a step further on my main gigging P. I dropped a jack in on the edge of the body, similar to a slab P. I left the old jack alone so if I ever have a problem with the one on the side during a gig, I can still use the original one.
  16. frankieC

frankieC Supporting Member

Ditto

Having the jack there doesn't bother me, either. I simply use a 90 degree cable.
  17. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Yeah, I did that. I was experimenting with pots and caps, and wanted to be able to get into the control cavity easier without having to remove all the screws and the entire pickguard.

[​IMG]
  18. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I kinda like the way that looks. May have to try on one of mine.
  19. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Yeah, as long as you're not cutting up a $200 vintage tort guard, no permanent damage done to the bass. Just the pickguard.
  20. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Same here - usually, once I get a P Bass wired the way I want it, it's really not an issue regarding the control cavity... I don't have a problem sliding the PG under the strings, and rotating it for work done - and it's not like I'm in there all the time, anyways... Even with a battery in there for EMGs, it just isn't an issue to me...

- georgestrings