P-Bass Players - Flatwounds or Roundwounds (POLL)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by needmoney, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Flatwounds

538 vote(s)
  2. Roundwounds

370 vote(s)
  1. This poll is simply to see how many P-bass players use/prefer flats, and how many use/prefer rounds. Post your thoughts as to why if you like. Flatwounds seem to be a very popular choice for a P, but how many stick with the roundwounds?

Note: I posted this here for a greater response, as opposed to the Strings section. Mods, feel free to move this if you wish.
  2. crack-boom

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand
    I only voted for roundwounds cause that's all I've ever used on my P. When finances and time allows I'll have a look at flats. :)
  3. Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Rounds. Flats just dont have that rock and roll sound.
  4. for me it's rounds...

i struggle to bring the brightness out of my basses as it is...

must be my ears...:eyebrow:
    davy4575 and 51pbass like this.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    I have one P with flats and one with rounds, but on the whole, I prefer rounds :smug:.

What I particularly dislike, tonewise, are bright sounding flats :spit:. I really can't see the point to them at all :confused:. I prefer La Bella flats; big, thick, dull and bassy as they come :smug:

Eric66 likes this.
  7. Only use tape wound flats on my fretless Michael Kelly Firefly ABG. Other than that, it's roundwounds on both electrics.

8. Moondance360

Oct 1, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    D'addario half rounds. :)
    51pbass likes this.
  9. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Flats is where it's at for me on the P. I dug my P with rounds on, but putting flats on it made it exactly what I was after. It's probably all that motown having an influence on me ;)
  10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I prefer rounds on the split-coil P-J in my avatar which I use as a "P" 90% of the time.

I prefer flats on the single coil Jay Turser JTB-401 '54 P bass copy.
  12. StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    I have always used rounds whether it be a Pbass or anything else. For the tone I want, rounds is where its at for me.
  13. BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Never tried flats. String choice where I live is not very wide.
  14. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I have two P basses with rounds, but my favorite has flats.
    51pbass likes this.
  15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You need another poll choice:
    "one of each"

that'd be me.
    Eric66 and bluejack like this.
  16. tmax

Dec 2, 2005
    Hallowell, Maine
    I prefer really old(5-8 years) nickel round wounds. Give you the nice old school tone but if you dig in they will snap a bit, flats won't do that-only old school. TI Jazz flats are great tho if you are trying to tame a really bright bass.
  17. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Marlton, NJ

I'm another one of those wackos that likes old rounds. I always put on the set I wanted after buying a bass and then left them on there for good. The only time I changed a set of strings was to freshen up a bass before selling it.

Getting back on topic ... I just bought my first Precision about a month ago, which the previous owner put flats on (TI's), and since I'm loving the sound I get from it I voted flats. I also use a Stingray that I have rounds on so I don't see any reason to put rounds on the Precision right now. Those two basses complement each other nicely.

However, if I were to risk a divorce :D by buying another P bass so soon, the new one would of course get a set of rounds on it.
  18. Kinda depends on the vibe you're shooting for. If you want that grindy pick tone, grab some rounds. If you want a more mellow sound, grab flats.
  19. Edword

Jun 23, 2005

20. I see flats is moving up...

P-bass with TI flats is to die for! IMO!
    That really was the sound I had in my head for quite some time before I discovered flats.
  21. Would'e?

Mar 27, 2007
    Anyone care to recommend a bright, long-lasting flat for metal? I'm a round player but I'm curious to try flats if there are any that would suit my needs. I know about the Rotosound Steve Harris flats and 'Arry certainly gets a good metal sound out of them with that sick hammer attack, but he also changes them for every show, so I'm not confident that they will still sparkle after a couple of months. I play 90% of the time with a pick BTW.