1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P-Bass Players - Flatwounds or Roundwounds (POLL)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by needmoney, Oct 31, 2008.

?

Flats or Rounds?

1. Flatwounds

413 vote(s)
    58.2%
  2. Roundwounds

297 vote(s)
    41.8%
  1. needmoney

needmoney

This poll is simply to see how many P-bass players use/prefer flats, and how many use/prefer rounds. Post your thoughts as to why if you like. Flatwounds seem to be a very popular choice for a P, but how many stick with the roundwounds?

:)

Note: I posted this here for a greater response, as opposed to the Strings section. Mods, feel free to move this if you wish.
  2. crack-boom

crack-boom

I only voted for roundwounds cause that's all I've ever used on my P. When finances and time allows I'll have a look at flats. :)
  3. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Rounds. Flats just dont have that rock and roll sound.
  4. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

for me it's rounds...

i struggle to bring the brightness out of my basses as it is...

must be my ears...:eyebrow:
  5. Fender32

Fender32

I have one P with flats and one with rounds, but on the whole, I prefer rounds :smug:.

What I particularly dislike, tonewise, are bright sounding flats :spit:. I really can't see the point to them at all :confused:. I prefer La Bella flats; big, thick, dull and bassy as they come :smug:

YMMV
  6. LAPetrarca

LAPetrarca

Only use tape wound flats on my fretless Michael Kelly Firefly ABG. Other than that, it's roundwounds on both electrics.

:bassist:
  7. Moondance360

Moondance360

D'addario half rounds. :)
  8. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Flats is where it's at for me on the P. I dug my P with rounds on, but putting flats on it made it exactly what I was after. It's probably all that motown having an influence on me ;)
  9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

+1
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

I prefer rounds on the split-coil P-J in my avatar which I use as a "P" 90% of the time.

I prefer flats on the single coil Jay Turser JTB-401 '54 P bass copy.
  11. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

I have always used rounds whether it be a Pbass or anything else. For the tone I want, rounds is where its at for me.
  12. BullHorn

BullHorn

Never tried flats. String choice where I live is not very wide.
  13. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I have two P basses with rounds, but my favorite has flats.
  14. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You need another poll choice:
    "one of each"

that'd be me.
  15. tmax

tmax Supporting Member

I prefer really old(5-8 years) nickel round wounds. Give you the nice old school tone but if you dig in they will snap a bit, flats won't do that-only old school. TI Jazz flats are great tho if you are trying to tame a really bright bass.
  16. dave64o

dave64o Gold Supporting Member

I'm another one of those wackos that likes old rounds. I always put on the set I wanted after buying a bass and then left them on there for good. The only time I changed a set of strings was to freshen up a bass before selling it.

Getting back on topic ... I just bought my first Precision about a month ago, which the previous owner put flats on (TI's), and since I'm loving the sound I get from it I voted flats. I also use a Stingray that I have rounds on so I don't see any reason to put rounds on the Precision right now. Those two basses complement each other nicely.

However, if I were to risk a divorce :D by buying another P bass so soon, the new one would of course get a set of rounds on it.
  17. spade2you

spade2you

Kinda depends on the vibe you're shooting for. If you want that grindy pick tone, grab some rounds. If you want a more mellow sound, grab flats.
  18. Edword

Edword

Ditto.
  19. bassmodder

bassmodder

I see flats is moving up...

P-bass with TI flats is to die for! IMO!
    That really was the sound I had in my head for quite some time before I discovered flats.
  20. Would'e?

Would'e?

Anyone care to recommend a bright, long-lasting flat for metal? I'm a round player but I'm curious to try flats if there are any that would suit my needs. I know about the Rotosound Steve Harris flats and 'Arry certainly gets a good metal sound out of them with that sick hammer attack, but he also changes them for every show, so I'm not confident that they will still sparkle after a couple of months. I play 90% of the time with a pick BTW.