1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P bass players?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by seansbrew, Jan 4, 2014.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Precision players

What position is your tone dial on your bass set to, before you dial in a room?
  2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

My P has flatwound strings about 40 years old. My tone knob is usually about halfway between treble and bass.

The setting on my amp is meaningless to you - everything about amps, cabs, and the rooms in which they are played varies.
  3. Turtle71

Turtle71

Wide....Open...Just like my volume knob :D
  4. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Most of my P-Bass tone knobs are dimed out, or backed off just a little bit. The exception is my 60th Anniversary P. That one has a much more sensitive and variable tone palette. I usually run that one about mid-way or a hair higher.
  5. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

6. Humbled

Humbled

Yes. Both full open 99.99% of the time.

Amp knobs get twiddled for a moment or two till I'm happy.
  7. iiipopes

iiipopes

Tone cap changed to .033 in order to keep more mids in the mix, then rolled off to about 8 to cut the G string twang but retain tone otherwise; 7 if the strings are new. Volume usually wide open, but rolled off as appropriate.
  8. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I roll off the tone knob to 7 or 8.
  9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I am not MAINLY a P player. I normally go for a bright, modern tone, and use a Carvin to get it. But I have a P for when I want that classic, vintage tone. I usually roll the tone knob off about 25% for rock, and more like 50-75% for blues or reggae.
  10. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

I just installed a DIY varitone in my favorite bass, and I change it depending on the song. Usually it's on the 0.047 or 0.033uF position, though. For home playing my amp is gain about 4, bass 4-5, mids 4-7, treb 3-5, vol 3.

On my other bass (identical but modded differently) which has a 0.033uF tone cap it's usually halfway or all the way closed with the amp flat or bass 5-7.
  11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    My volume is around 75%. The tone is usually between 40 and 60%. This gives me room to adjust both of them up or down depending on the song. This is something that I have always done but recently read that Carol Kaye also keeps her volume at 75% and adjusts the tone according to the song.
  12. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Both pickguard controls full open all the time. Only exception is to reduce noise, turning the tone knob down until the noise disappears.

There is no standard setting for the amps. Depends on the room.
  13. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Tone control's wide open, volume usually 80% or so. Amp is neutral/flat typically.
  14. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Same here, but I keep my volume down just a bit lower, 70-75% usually.
  15. 10cc

10cc

This is the best response to a post I've read in 14. So true from the get to the go.
  16. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Flats player. Usually volume and tone wide open, been experimenting with tone controls the past few days and I like the halfway position for some stuff too. I also have a Germanium diode wired into my circuit that I run at half open at all times.
  17. djkool

djkool Supporting Member

+1
  18. Mike N

Mike N Supporting Member

Wide open, eq on the amp set pretty much flat.
  19. Jefff

Jefff

My P bass has the BEST tone pot EVER. I some times lay awake at night worrying about what I will do if it ever craps out.

It is so linear that every bit of it gives me a different but usable tone so it depends on the song, band, room.

My default position is 50%
  20. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Pretty much for me too....with flats. My P with CS 60 pups has the tone rolled off a wee bit. I find that my Precisions sound muddy with too much tone rolled off.