1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P-bass PU selection

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ToneMonkey, Dec 19, 2012.

1. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey Supporting Member

I have a MIM P strung with Labella flats that I primarily use for surf.

The stock PUs are OK, but I just have this sense that I could do a bit better. They seem to have an aggressive upper mid honk that's somewhat hard to dial out without going completely to mud.

I play this bass with a pick and do roll back my tone control quite a bit.

Anyway, I'd prefer PUs with a bit more growl and less honk if that makes any sense. Something with a low mid rather than high mid emphasis.

Fender '62 maybe? Fralin?
  2. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

I think Fralins will get closer to what you're after
  3. Teacher

Teacher

What about Quarter Pounders?
  4. ToneMonkey

I don't have any experience with quarter pounders. What do they sound like?

In general (for both bass and guitar), I prefer vintage winds to overwinds. I'm also not really looking for more output, just different output.
  5. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
  6. ToneMonkey

Thanks for the suggestion. I once had a set of Lawrence PUs in a tele and really dug them.
  7. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

I like my Fralin 5% overwound. I can't remember exactly what I asked for. I think I said I liked my '62 pickup, but I wanted one that hit harder, yet wasn't murky like a Bart 8S. He suggested a 5% overwind and it was perfect, exactly the sound I wanted. Call him at his shop to tell him exactly what you want and he'll tell you what he can do for you. So far as I know, he doesn't do e-mail.
  8. ToneMonkey

@topcat: I ended up going with the Lawrence. I am very satisfied. It's full and deep, but without losing the essential character of a split P-bass PU. Dead quiet too. Also, about 1/2 the price of other boutique PUs. This is my second extremely positive experience with Bill Lawrence/Wilde.

Thanks everyone for the input. Much appreciated.