1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P Bass Special Active vs Passive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SIFJiggy, Dec 18, 2013.

1. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

Anyone have experience with both? I imagine they're significantly different. I owned a passive in the late 90s and really liked it but passed on it for a jazz. (Ironically, it was cheaper than a standard jazz back then)
  2. Major Softie

Major Softie

P Basses are passive. :spit:
  3. SIFJiggy

HAHA I know!

It is just interesting that Fender changed it. I mean - I know P Bass Specials don't sound *quite* like a PBass - but they get pretty close I suspect. Throw the active P/Us in it and they're a completely different animal (conjecture).
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I have owned atleast half a dozen passive Fender P/Js, and probably won't own another - however, I consider my Deluxe P Bass Special(active) to be a keeper... The active preamp tackles the VVT syndrome that plagues most passive P/Js(IMO), and sounds sort of like a P Bass on steroids - with ALOT of tonal variance available...

If you like active basses, and P Basses - give one a try...

- georgestrings
  5. SIFJiggy

Thanks georgestrings - mind my askin what VVT is?
  6. SIFJiggy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgestrings View Post
    I have owned atleast half a dozen passive Fender P/Js, and probably won't own another - however, I consider my Deluxe P Bass Special(active) to be a keeper... The active preamp tackles the VVT syndrome that plagues most passive P/Js(IMO), and sounds sort of like a P Bass on steroids - with ALOT of tonal variance available...

If you like active basses, and P Basses - give one a try...

- georgestrings
    Thanks georgestrings - mind my askin what VVT is?

Eiosh Vol,Vol,Tone...
  7. SIFJiggy

I must not be awake yet - I'm not thinking before I post....

What is the VVT syndrome? (Now that I have the definition) haha
  8. autodidact

autodidact

In reference to the P pickup vs. The J pickup. The J tends to be quieter and weaken the sound when both pickups are on fully. With the active electronics you can boost the signal so that it has a nice, even sound
  9. SIFJiggy

Makes sense. Haven't been a big active guy, but I dig the P-ish sound and loves me a jazz neck.
  10. Davo-London

Davo-London

The original Jazz bass had VT VT, which then changed to VVT. Actually, I think the original arrangement is better. If you have ever had the opportunity to play the bridge PU with tone rolled completely off and then add the split coil with a range of tone settings. There's a lot of goodness right there and I suspect that Leo got it right first time and then changed it!

IMHO that is.

Davo
  11. SIFJiggy

Sounds like the stack knob setup? I haven't seen that with a split-coil at the neck position.