P Bass Special Active vs Passive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SIFJiggy, Dec 18, 2013.

1. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

Anyone have experience with both? I imagine they're significantly different. I owned a passive in the late 90s and really liked it but passed on it for a jazz. (Ironically, it was cheaper than a standard jazz back then)
  2. Major Softie

Major Softie

P Basses are passive. :spit:
  3. SIFJiggy

HAHA I know!

It is just interesting that Fender changed it. I mean - I know P Bass Specials don't sound *quite* like a PBass - but they get pretty close I suspect. Throw the active P/Us in it and they're a completely different animal (conjecture).
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I have owned atleast half a dozen passive Fender P/Js, and probably won't own another - however, I consider my Deluxe P Bass Special(active) to be a keeper... The active preamp tackles the VVT syndrome that plagues most passive P/Js(IMO), and sounds sort of like a P Bass on steroids - with ALOT of tonal variance available...

If you like active basses, and P Basses - give one a try...

- georgestrings
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SIFJiggy

Thanks georgestrings - mind my askin what VVT is?
  7. SIFJiggy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgestrings View Post
    I have owned atleast half a dozen passive Fender P/Js, and probably won't own another - however, I consider my Deluxe P Bass Special(active) to be a keeper... The active preamp tackles the VVT syndrome that plagues most passive P/Js(IMO), and sounds sort of like a P Bass on steroids - with ALOT of tonal variance available...

If you like active basses, and P Basses - give one a try...

- georgestrings
    Thanks georgestrings - mind my askin what VVT is?

Eiosh Vol,Vol,Tone...
  8. SIFJiggy

I must not be awake yet - I'm not thinking before I post....

What is the VVT syndrome? (Now that I have the definition) haha
  9. autodidact

autodidact

In reference to the P pickup vs. The J pickup. The J tends to be quieter and weaken the sound when both pickups are on fully. With the active electronics you can boost the signal so that it has a nice, even sound
  10. SIFJiggy

Makes sense. Haven't been a big active guy, but I dig the P-ish sound and loves me a jazz neck.
  11. Davo-London

Davo-London

The original Jazz bass had VT VT, which then changed to VVT. Actually, I think the original arrangement is better. If you have ever had the opportunity to play the bridge PU with tone rolled completely off and then add the split coil with a range of tone settings. There's a lot of goodness right there and I suspect that Leo got it right first time and then changed it!

IMHO that is.

Davo
  12. SIFJiggy

Sounds like the stack knob setup? I haven't seen that with a split-coil at the neck position.