P Bass Suddenly humming?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Haugenbp, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Haugenbp

Haugenbp

I have a 2005 Fender P bass, MIM, all stock. I haven't played it in a few months. I picked it up today and suddenly I'm getting a major buzz. I've tried it on two amps with two different cables, and I get the humming/buzzing each time. I didn't change anything on the bass and I'm using it in the same room, same outlet.

Any ideas? Do I need to take it in?

Sorry if this topic has been done to death, but I did do a search on it and couldn't find an answer where the person with a buzzing/humming hadn't recently changed pickups or done something else to the bass. This happened suddenly.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Haugenbp

Haugenbp

Just did some more testing and determined its a grounding problem. Not sure why this would suddenly occur or how to fix it.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Probably a cold solder or loss of contact with the bridge.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Does the buzz go away, get louder, or remain constant when you touch the bridge/strings?

If it goes away = Shielding

If it gets louder = grounding

If it remains constant = could be a deeper issue, but check the ground wire running from the bridge to the control cavity.
  5. Haugenbp

Haugenbp

Looks like it's shielding. How do I fix that?
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Just doing some follow ups on threads and saw this. If you still need help OP PM me, I will hook you up with some knowledge.