P bass to MM Stingray conversion?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassestkkm, Oct 13, 2013.

1. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

Anyone ever heard of this being done? Where the pickup and the body is routed a little extra to make room for a MM pickup? I've got this going on in my bass. It was given to me 7 years ago and I'm only now learning enough about the thing to realize this is what's happening. Its a passive bass and I like the sound. But maybe I'll change to a 2 band active EQ in the future. Its got a SD basslines in it as it is and I like the sound.

2. MagicMan_841

MagicMan_841 Supporting Member

What you should do is keep the P pickup and add a MM pickup in the "sweet spot" position (which is way down by the bridge).

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

The pickups would overlap.

4. natas

natas

what do you mean?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. UBU

UBU

The P pup and the MM pup in their traditional spots share a little space.

7. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Probably, but what he means is to put the MM pup closer to the bridge. Like say, look at fender basses with p/j pup config, the jazz pup is close to the bridge, that's where he is suggesting you put the MM pup.

8. meatwad

meatwad

As already said, if you want that MM sound, the pickup needs to be more in the "bridge" position. I would add the MM pickup, rather than replace the original P.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

11. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Pickup position matters.

If you want the real stingray sound you would have to move the pickup toward the bridge and then it would half overlap with the pickguard, looking really odd.

I would advice against building a single pickup bass with a MM class humbucker in a more neckish position. You are likely to not get a usable sound out of it.

12. mcnach

mcnach

Yup, they overlap, so you cannot get both P and MM exactly right.
    An alternative I have seen that works pretty well is to route the MM at the correct spot, and then move the DG coil from the P pickup up. So you end up with a "reversed P". True, it does not exactly sound like a P, but I actually think it sounds better balanced that way anyway, and the MM at the right place gets you in Stingray territory. MOve the MM further to the bridge and it already loses "something". It sounds good, but more "fat Jazz" than Stingray...

Disclaimer: I love the Stingray sound, so I'd give priority to that sound, anyway. Just providing an alternative here.

13. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

If you do that the pickups are so close that they "see" each other's magnetic fields, and at that distance it is definitely audible. Both of them operate under a combined re-shaped magnetic field.

14. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Hmmm...im kinda likin this..

15. mcnach

mcnach

The result is good 'though, and the MM sounds Stingray regardless of the P pickup in its vicinity.

16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Yeah, that's what I'd suggest too. Best results would come from getting a P pickup that is wound to match the MM but even with standard pickups I like this idea. Personally I'd use a three position switch for pickup selection: P, MM and P+MM.

Oh I don't know about that. JohnK_10's Jazzmaster build sound (and look) pretty sweet to me.

[​IMG]

Sound clip

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

ya ... that is a fun bass to play.

I have remade/rebuilt it 6 or 7 times, with different pickups, preamps, passive wirings, this is the 3rd or 4th stripe look I have had on it.

Currently it is wired passive and the stingray pickup has a toggle for single/series/parallel.

18. MPU

MPU

They will not see each others magnetic field. Magnetic field is focused and weak enough so that it does not effect strings or other pickups. There will be difference in sound too because of two different style of pickups.

19. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. I know you guys are talking the MM + P but MY bass already has the MM pup in the P bass pickups position. It does give a fatter jazz sound. Which I do like. I just want it to be a little more consistent b/c my pots are a bit tired. As in lose and non tapered.

20. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

pictures, or it doesnt exist :D

21. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

Here it is next to my Classic Vibe P bass same bodies different neck and the pickup was replaced by P/O

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3711174074860&l=ff117f4d52

Not letting me post the pic so here's the link to it

And don't judge my dirty fretboard :p Its my go to bass and has been for quite some time. I give it a good cleaning on occasion it just happened to be after a lot of playing when I took this lol