1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

p bass vs jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattpbass, May 9, 2011.

1. mattpbass

mattpbass

hi guys

i have a j and a p ,everybody raves about the sound of a p bass being phat and masssive, ive been listening to alota zep and hendrix and redding and jpj both used jazz basses and there tones are massive!! im not sure which bass to use live ??? please help lol...and give me your view please< does a jazz give a thump live < im in a 3piece band..
    regards
    matt:)

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Depends on the sound you are looking for.. you could bring both and switch it up..

If you want more thump out of the Jazz, use more neck pickup...

they are different instruments and have different sounds...

but personally, in a 3 piece, where you could express more of a musical voice, I would go with the Jazz...

But if it is a blues / classic rock group, id go with the P.

What kind of stuff is it your playing?

3. BassBandit

BassBandit

Neither can be compared to the other, you're talking two completely different basses with two completely different sounds. You can get a punchier tone on the jazz, by rolling off the bridge p/u slightly more to the neck, hence the introduction of the P/J the best of both worlds.....btw don't let Mr. Jones fool you, a good part of the later years he was playing an Alembic 6 string. Use em both and choose which based on the song

4. tbassist4

tbassist4

Use your ears. Which one do you like? Go with that one. EQ is a wonderful thing - it can fatten up a J-bass and give some definition to a P-bass. I still have this argument with myself and it always comes back to what I like more. I prefer one of these two for pretty much everything (I will not tell you which). I try to convince myself that my other bass (which is the other model) will be better for certain jobs because it is most common in that genre, or because people say "that's how you get the sound!" At the end of the day, after practicing on what should be the right bass for the job, I always go back to the one I like - not only can it fill the role, but it also sounds like me playing said genre, not like me trying to sound like someone famous who plays said genre.

Just a couple of thoughts and a very humble opinion,
    Tyler

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassBandit

BassBandit

Also depends on the type of strings you're using, flats, round wound, 1/2 wounds, stainless, nickle, etc. etc.

7. jbaxter90

jbaxter90

I found the j bass more versitile, but if you want that p bass sound install a pbass neck on it

8. jbaxter90

jbaxter90

For a thicker heaver sound. What I did with my squire.

9. jbaxter90

jbaxter90

Also j bass when used right can blow the panties off jenifer lopes

10. WyrdoBass

WyrdoBass

^^Umm, what?... P neck does NOT = P sound.

I use a P for much of my stuff and personalily I can get many different tones by just varying hand placement... It's really just personal preference. Go play a few, see what meshes.

11. mstott25

mstott25

They fought twice and P won both times. If I remember correctly their second bout went to decision.

12. mstott25

mstott25

You know you're allowed to include more than one sentence in a reply.

13. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

14. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    Try both and decide yourself. Both are different, with each has many different kinds/types/series.
    Each of them both can do anything. Including what you describe.

What you feel right it's the one best for you.

15. Punk player21

Punk player21

Ah, well I have both and have a hard time picking, a P plays hard and heavy I find good for metal type music, but the J bass I use all the time, amazing for Punk and real good for just slapping as well, now it also depends on the bass rig your running! I use Ampeg, 4x10, two of them and 1000 watt head, deep tone and good punch. The p bass seems to kick a little to much for my taste but the j bass plays easier and smoother too, weights alot less too. If your going to be playing on stage for along time the j bass is most comfortably fit. But like a lot of the other posters have said, pick for your self just be sure about what one sounds better with your group if you play in one, and what sounds better
    With the bass rig you use... And if it fits better with you style of music.

16. kosmicwizard

kosmicwizard

17. Batmensch

Batmensch

I have (and like) both, but prefer the P.
    Nothing wrong with the J, it just doesn't feel as good to me as the P. They both have their place, though, both are quite useful, and for my purposes the two of them are all I need.

18. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    To the OP:
    yeah why don't you buy both?

:bag:

19. klejst

klejst

Like others have expressed it really comes down to the sound you are looking for. Also it is also personal preference when it comes down to it. Best advice is to either try out a P and a J and choose what sounds and is most comfortable for you, buy one of each, or get like a P special that has the P/J pup configuration to essentially get the best of both in one. For me it's Precision, my Fender Precision is all I need, but that is me and my two cents.

20. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

If you have both, and you also have an idea of the sound you're going for, why not just play each of them and decide which one works better for you?

21. JTFormula

JTFormula

I was thinking something similar. Why buy one or the other, get a Precision Lyte:

[​IMG]

Its the best of both worlds. I have a Fender Jazz and dig the way it sounds but when I play my Aria or my Series 10 (both PJ) I love the way those sound better with both pups turned up. The combo of the two give it such a cool sound you can't get with one or the other. Its the best of everything. I can have a Jazz sound, a P sound or both.

I am actively searching for a Mahogany Lyte (like the picture) to replace the Series 10.