1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

P Bass wiring issue.... Maybe?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PotsdamBass8, Aug 21, 2013.

1. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8

So I just got a honeyburst fender American special from GC's used site ImageUploadedByTalkBass1377131287.285869.jpg , and while its in great shape, when I plugged in in my garage, it hums like a single coil. I even tested it against my yamaha bb424x, and when it's in single coil only mode, it hums exactly the same. When I use just the p pickup on the yamaha, dead silent. Now I took the pickguard off to try to see if there was anything obvious, but I can't really tell. I'm not that up on my wiring. It does look like some wires were poking out of the pickguard a little and there was scratching at the edge by the finish like someone tried to push them back under. That would imply that someone might have take it apart at some point. I also don't really see the claimed "greasebucket" wiring. Is there anyone here with knowledge of these things that can tell me if there's anything obviously wrong with the wiring?

Thanks!

2. RadioRob

RadioRob

It looks correct.
    And that is not the Greasebucket wiring.
    You might have to remove the bridge and make sure there is contact with the ground wire.

3. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8

Checked the bridge ground wire, it was touching. It's so weird because it behaves and sounds exactly like my pj bass with both pickups or just the j.

Is it possible to wire a p pickup so it doesn't cancel hum? I know when you have two jazz pickups then they have to have reverse polarity to hum cancel when they're both on equally, is it possible that the two halves of the p were not reverse polarity from the factory?

4. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

looks ok to me
    Just make sure that Ground on the Volume isnt touching the output to the jack
    also what size cap is that!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Your bass gets a hum, does it go away when you touch the metal/strings/bridge? If so, then you have a shielding issue, Fender does nothing in terms of shielding jobs pre-2008. Their shielding job post 2008 is a joke anyways, so it does nothing.

I bet that bass is dead silent once you give it a proper shielding job.

7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

OK, here's the deal: check the polarity alignment of the magnet polepieces in each of the two pickup segments. They should be opposite, for the RWRP wiring that makes a split-P-pickup humbucking. If they are the same, then somebody made a mistake and got two of the same half, and then it's just like any other dual-single coil in series: hum and more hum. If they are different, then you could still get hum if the wires connecting one segment to the other are reversed. If this is the case, try flipping the leads of one half of the pickup as to which wire goes to te other half and which lead comes out to the controls.

8. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8

Thanks, I will check this.

The hum does not go away when I tough strings or other metal.

9. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8

There are wires connecting the ground lug, volume pot, tone pot, output, and bridge ground all in one line. Should that not be the case?

Also no idea about the cap, I was just expecting it to look different since it supposedly was the greasebucket tone control.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If you have it wired correctly as shown in Rob's link and the buzz is constant you have a more serious issue. Have you removed the bridge and check the ground connection under there? I improve that connection with a slip of copper foil tape under the bridge.

11. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8

Update: finally got around to borrowing a soldering iron and swapped the wires coming from one half of the pickups - dead silent now. Thanks for the help!