1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jgrabs07, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Jgrabs07

Jgrabs07

The boss aka (my wife) recently let me pull the trigger on a new american standard, i play in a classic cover band looking for some good flat wounds, with good mid to lows, with a bit of grawl
  2. guitardefector

guitardefector

Sorry what is your question?
  3. hersonRS3

hersonRS3 Supporting Member

I think he's looking for some strings.
  4. JYBass

JYBass

DR Legends.
  5. EricF

EricF Habitual User Gold Supporting Member

For me, my favorite flats on a P are LaBellas. Pure thumpy goodness. For something with a touch more zing (but still a thumpy flat), the D'Addario Chromes are my choice.

BTW - This should be in the "Stings" section
  6. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

For a little added growl, I say Chromes.
  7. Jgrabs07

Jgrabs07

Sorry i posted in the wrong section im still kinda overwhelmed on the sound i get from the stock strings
  8. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

No prob. Ask a mod to move it. Also, I would change the title to "Flats for P Bass" or something to make it a little more relevant.
  9. justinellison3

justinellison3

Noy if you want growl. I have chromes on my JAZZ BASS and the sound so smooth and clear. I would recommend Rotosound 77
  10. foq1978

foq1978

Please recommend me good flat wounds, with good mid to lows, with a bit of growl.
  11. foq1978

foq1978

+1
  12. capncal

capncal

i just ordered a set of Rotosound Steve Harris signature flats. I'll review them once I've got my fat fingers on them! I thought about the LeBellas, they are often the best reviewed. They are also often the most expensive. I've been a fan of rotosounds since my first set a couple years ago, round wound, of course. And who doesn't love Steve Harris's sound? So I figured I'd give them a go.
  13. AcridSaint

AcridSaint

Hi - I would like to recommend half-rounds. I like these on my PJ, not so bright as rounds but you can get more growl than flats.

( not me :D )
  14. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

I've had good luck with GHS Pressurewounds. Good mid-growl, and sufficient low end. Not very much highs, though.
  15. Doragon

Doragon

GHS Precision flats. The only string on I use now on my bass's. Plus you can get for 20 bucks a set !!!
  16. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

For Classic Rock, the LaBellas are IT! I have tried everything on my American Standard P and keep coming back to the stock pickups with LaBella flats. Fantastic sound and the one set will last you forever.

Take a listen - recorded live, playing essentially flat through my little MarkBass 121P Combo - outdoors!

https://soundcloud.com/gioinla/the-shades-secret-agent-man