P-Basses and Stingrays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drummer5359, Dec 8, 2013.

1. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I figured out that I love the sound and feel of a Precision, to me they are magic. Okay, that isn't shocking. A lot of people love P-basses. I've found that my EBMM Stingray really floats my boat too. They are different tools, but I've easily connected with them both.

I bought an American Standard Jazz bass last year, feeling that having a good P, a good J and a Ray would be a great selection of basses. I love the look of a Jazz bass. I've played drums for years with various bassists and liked the way that they sounded in their hands. Alas, after a year of trying I've determined that Jazz basses and I just are not cut out for each other. That's not to say that I don't appreciate them other peoples hands, just not mine.

Last week I got rid of my Jazz and got another Precision.

So...

I'm curious if there are others who are P-bass / Stingray believers that also couldn't get their head around a Jazz.
  2. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

I like all three. They don't seem that different to me. Variations on a Fender theme.
  3. Up the dose

Up the dose Supporting Member

Yup. My current roster consists of a Stingray 5HH. A Sterling 5H, and an ADPV. Single coils just don't do it for me.
  4. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

I understand what you're saying. I think the mistake people make with a Jazz is wanting it to sound like a P bass, and then getting frustrated because it won't. For me the key to getting along with a Jazz is use it in the kind of music where it comes into it's own. It needs space in the mix to breath and doesn't cut through as well as a P.

That said, I like my P but love my Jazz. Owning a Jazz has increased my appreciation for the P and vice versa.
  5. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I had the opposite experience with the Stingray. It had a decent sound but just not what I was looking for. It also had several dead spots. My main basses for the past few years have been MIA Precision and Jazz and my Spectors, depending on what type of music I am playing and the sound I want.
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Several dead spots on a StingRay but not on a Fender?! Wow, that's the opposite of what usually happens.

I love the StingRay, and I love the Jazz. Both get very gritty and grindy for the stuff I play, and absolutely cut through the mix.
    I have always had a P laying around, but usually goes ignored in the closet because it sounds so boring.
  7. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

I like Jazz basses, but I REALLY like Precisions.

Yep. I do love a nice MM Stingray as well. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, it is a matter of personal preference.

Enjoy your Precisions!
  8. malthumb

malthumb

My experience is different. Of the P, J, Ray trilogy of low end, my preferences are Ray and J. P just doesn't do it for me.

My portfolio of basses currently doesn't have a P or a J, but I have had several J's and will not rule out owning others. I am tempted to consider a Deluxe P5, but that sorta hedges my bets by providing some J flexibility in addition to the P.

And for what it's worth, the three MMs I currently own (2 Sabres, 1 Ray) have zero dead spots that I can detect and no sign of a reportedly weak G-string.
  9. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I'm a P guy, but after many years I'm beginning to appreciate Js and Rays, especially the new AmDeluxe J and two-band Ray Classic. Maybe because they sound more like a P. ;)
  10. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I'm also convinced that J's sound better from the audience than from the stage. That's probably true of all basses, but to me the Jazz sounds thin up close, but meatier at a distance.
  11. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

My favourite basses in my collection are my 5 string US Deluxe P and my Stingray.

I've tried Jazz basses before and while I've tried a few that I quite liked I always prefer the sound and feel of a P (4/5) or a Stingray.
  12. bassfart

bassfart Gold Supporting Member

I LOVE my P bass. I've owned 2 MM's, a Sterling and a Classic Stingray 5. Both were beautiful basses, but I couldn't get into them. I have a Jazz and it plays and sounds awesome, but I always grab my P bass first. To me, nothing beats a P.
  13. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

To me, the true power of a Jazz is in series - that gives it some thump like a P, adds some mids, yet retains some of that jazz bass clarity...

- georgestrings
  14. REV

REV Supporting Member

All three are good designs. I think the musical situation will dictate which bass will work best. P basses sound really fat but there may be times when this is too much. I personally think a Jazz will sit in the mix better. As for Stingrays I love hearing them but the sound has never worked for me and I have tried and tried and tried. I love the design but somehow when I'm playing one it just doesn't sound like me. I am currently in a P bass love zone.
  15. d_town

d_town

I'm a huge fan of a ray. Nothing else comes close for the 'growl' that the maple neck and pup give.. I love the jazz bass, but they're a bit of a one sound bass.. Also, the pups don't make comfortable positioned rests for me, so if i ever buy one i'd fit a thumb rest between them (think tim c).

So, i went an american standard. P/J for sound that a P will never have, a jazz neck and a good pup position. It has it's comfort that the ray doesn't, and vice versa. Happy camper!
  16. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr Hack with nice gear. Supporting Member

I love the sound and feel of both the P and the J (and even the P/J), and I enjoy the Stingray, but find that I need the neck pickup the get the sound I like. So, the EBMM's with the second pickup...good for me, just not without.
  17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I like p-basses, Stingrays, Jazz basses, EB3s, Rickenbackers, Ibanez, Warwicks, Sadowskis, Zons. Wals, Jaguars, Fenderbirds, etc ...
  18. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

The way I feel about basses is: There are no bad sounding basses (unless there is some seriously shoddy craftsmanship involved).

I treat them all like different flavors, I play everything and I usually just pick the right instrument for the job. So long as the instrument feels good in my hands, it is a good instrument.

Currently I'm loving the thumpy goodness of my Squier Bronco. It amazes me that these cost less than $150 new. I'm sure in a few weeks I will be really digging something else though

I will hopefully get a stingray soon, but I need to clear out the stable a bit before I consider buying one, as such, a few p-basses and a les paul may be getting sold... unfortunately...

-Ron
  19. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

Excellent point; I've never realized that before but it's true.

Semi-relatedly, my amp sounds better from the side than from the front.
  20. decentbassbreh

decentbassbreh

i used to like jazz basses a whole heck of a lot, but recently I just really do not like them...at all. I much prefer a p bass or musicman, even for slap, and finger style, and with a pick. Idk jazzes are cool but not my thing