1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZombiBoi95, Feb 3, 2014.

1. ZombiBoi95

ZombiBoi95

Can anyone recommend me a good p bass. I quite like the fender american standard but I don't know if there are better options to go for. Big fan of pino palladino so I would immediately stick a set of flats on it. I currently play in a blues/rock/jazz band in which I play a fender american 62 RI jb which I ****ing lovely but I also wanna add a p bass into the sound.
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

3. garp

garp

Check out Fender’s MIM Standard Precision and their MIM ‘50s Classic Precision. I own the latter, and am extremely pleased with it.
  4. thebrian

thebrian Still can't think of anything good to put here. Supporting Member

Since you already have a '62 AVRI Jazz, a great "sister" to that bass would definitely be a '62 AVRI P (or a '57)! Fender stopped making all those models last year, but you can still find new old stock ones and lots of used ones in the classifieds here and on ebay. And that will get you as close to Pino's sound as you can get without having Pino's fingers (and there's always the Custom Shop Pino bass too). The new AVRI models are the '63 and '58 Ps, which are very nice basses, but also more $$.

The American standard Ps (I believe) use the same P/Us as the '62 AVRIs have, so sound-wise, it won't make much of a difference between the 2. Mainly, the "right" choice depends on if you like a more modern feeling neck and appointments, or the vintage style.
  5. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Gamma Bass Guitars
  6. GM60466

GM60466

The new Dan Lakin Basses P Bass looks pretty darn good.
  7. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

A Lot of it depends on your budget. There are good P's to be had for under $300 (think Squier VM) and up - Fender has a full range - and then lots of clones (Lakland, Carvin, the list goes on). Always tones of them here in the TB classifieds......

I play a vintage P and love it.
  8. ronlitz

ronlitz

I agree with bherman - need to know what your price preference is.

I have small hands, so the reissues that have a 1.75" nut width are too wide for me. I just went to the Fender site, and it looks like the "American Vintage '63" is the closest thing they offer now to your '62 RI jazz. This bass has the wide neck though. It does have a 7.25" radius, which I prefer to the 9.5". To me, the feel of the neck is so important, you just have to try it before you decide. If you're used to your Jazz neck - and like that width - you might not like the chunkier Precision neck. I know I much prefer the Jazz.

I have an American Standard P that I like, but I *hate* the stupid grooves in the bridge saddles! Not only have I never wanted to adjust the string-to-string spacing, I can't even get even spacing between strings with the slots available in the grooved saddles. It's probably nit-picking - but it really bugs me. I also never use the string-thru option of the bridge because it's too limiting to find strings that are just the right length for that.

Of the current offerings, I would pick the American Standard.
  9. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    I would buy a 1983 P bass in black and maple. I know were you can get one also
  10. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    Some random reviews/info of GAMMA Basses on line here:

1)
  11. P Town

P Town Guest

The new Fender American Deluxe Basses are spectacular instruments.
  12. Tbone76

Tbone76

I picked up a Fender American Special satin honeyburst P used a few months ago. It has a nitro finish, maple neck with 9.5" radius, posiflex support rods, a neck width of 1.625", and a thinner neck profile front-to-back than other p-basses. It sounds killer with chromes on it and it's nice and light. It's $900 new, and used it goes for around $500 or so.
  13. ZombiBoi95

ZombiBoi95

Price range is around £500-£700 so as u can guess I'm looking at second hand fenders but that's not to say I wouldn't spend that on a new p bass. I forgot to say that I'm also thinking about the p bass being a 5 string but I'm not sure about that yet.
  14. ZombiBoi95

ZombiBoi95

Also just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input
  15. ZombiBoi95

ZombiBoi95

So what about other brands of p basses ect. Sadowsky, lakland, overwater. I don't know many. Would anyone recommend some of these or is fender probably the better option in build quality, weight, overall sound
  16. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Those other options are great, but a bit more of a modern approach(or at least modern refinements). I would strongly lean towards a Lull P4 if you are looking to pick up a higher end Precision. Build quality is as high as it gets, and the basses are super light weight, not to mention great sounding. The Fender '63 Reissues are also excellent.
  17. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

I have a MIM with a maple board that sounds/plays better than my American Standard 5er. I got it cheap and gave it a good set up.
  18. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

I love my Fender Road Worn, last week I sold my Fender American Standard and keep the RW. You like Pino Palladino then a RW in fiesta red would be a great option for you.
  19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Lots of good options, nowadays. Fender and Lakland (and Lakin) have already been mentioned, but I would also suggest that you check out the Carvin PB series.
  20. DogBone

DogBone

I'd encourage you to at least TRY a Fender standard or American standard Precision to get a baseline.

And yeah, Fender roadworns have the best FEEL of any new Fenders I've played in a long time, so I'd encourage you to have a go on a few of those like others have mentioned. Really, REALLY nice feeling and playing basses, it's more than just the "relic" thing with those, they really are player's basses.

Sure, other manufacturers that also produce fenderesque basses may have more features or have better or worse quality, I'm sure you'll hear a lot about that. But again if you at least have an idea what the actual Fender feels,sounds, and plays like maybe you can better appreciate the differences (and price points!)

Good luck. :)