p/j Bass Decision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kawabama, Dec 12, 2013.

1. kawabama

kawabama

I have been monogamous to the same bass for about 20 years. Yeah, I don't like change...

Anyway, I heard a bass that's makin' me want to have an affair with a new bass. It was a G&L SB-2 Tribute. Loved it!! Only issue is, there's no way to lay hands on one where I live. I did manage to find a Fender p/j though.

What say the masses of talkbass? Would you buy a G&L SB-2 Tribute sight unseen? Is it worth the risk?
  2. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

How did you hear this bass?
  3. kawabama

kawabama

Heard live at a club first. Then I did some online research, youtube videos, etc.
  4. kimokeo

kimokeo

If it was what I wanted I would buy it. Just that simple.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bobster

Bobster

I'm a big fan of P/J basses.

The G&L Tributes have a good reputation and I wouldn't be too concerned about buying one on the interwebs from a reputable dealer (GC, MF, zzounds, etc...) They are good about returns.

Biggest issue would be setup, but if you can do that, or have a good luthier, it's not a concern either.

Just don't waste time with it, check it out upon arrival so you don't have an issue with return window (normally 30 days).

Best of luck w/the search!

Bob
  7. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

I wouldn't buy any bass sight unseen. Trying basses out via mail can get expensive! However, I too wanted a SB-2. Fortunately for me I live by a big G&L dealer. I bided my time and now I have an awesome SB-2 to go with my SB-1. Currently waiting for the right L-2000 to come along. Damn GAS :bassist:
  8. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

At the moment, the only Fenders that would even show up on my radar, are some of the VM Squiers, and higher-end stuff like the AVRI series.

If I was looking for a good P in that price range, G&L is one of the first places I would look. Great tones, nice feature set, tidy construction.

From what I've seen, construction quality is consistent enough to make my shortlist of brands that I would be willing to buy sight unseen.

One caveat: A friend had a problem with a bad truss rod on a used 2500, and when we checked around, we determined that there have been occasional problems with them.

The rate of these incidents is very low, so it would not put me off buying one. However, I would probably go with an extended warranty, regardless of if I was buying online or in person.

Neck problems can sometimes take two or three years to develop, so it would be nice to know that if something did happen, you were covered. I would do this with a high-end Fender, too.
  9. gndboy

gndboy

I played a '98 Fender Hotrod Precision (passive P/J) for about thirteen years. It was a fine bass. Sold it to finance a new G&L M-2000 which I ordered to my liking given the specs. You cannot go wrong with a P/J setup as long as the instrument is decent and you like to play it. The M-2000 I received about two weeks ago is exactly what I wanted. Lacking that bass, I like any decent P/J bass with P-bass neck geometry.
  10. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

As much as I think I want a particular bass, I would have to play it first. I bought a Bass in the past where I judged from YouTube videos, etc. and it turned out to be something I just couldn't get comfortable with. Play it before if possible!
  11. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

My feeling about any bass is that if you can buy it used (from a good place like a known seller on talkbass), that's a great way to go. Not only is it cheaper, but if you don't like it, you can sell it for little or no loss. I have gotten to try many wonderful instruments that way, and for the most part I have only lost the shipping charges.