1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

P/J bass wiring with V/T/ 3 way toggle switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Skywalker83, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Skywalker83

Skywalker83

I've found a few p/j wiring diagrams, but cant find the right one for my wishes. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Line6man?

Master volume/ Master tone/ 3 way toggle switch

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    The pickups (+) would first go to the 3way toggle (outer lugs). center lug of the 3way will go to the master volume, then to the tone, there should also be a grounding point on the toggle itself...... sorry no diagram handy currently....

3. line6man

line6man

[​IMG]

I have this diagram is with the tone control running after the volume, like on a Jazz bass.
    Did you want it running before the volume like on a P?

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    You da man.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Yeah, the output of the switch goes to a regular P-Bass style volume/tone control segment, and the PUPs go before the switch. Basic current flow tells you the rest.

John

7. Skywalker83

Skywalker83

Yeah Line6man, i'm looking for it running before the volume like on a P bass.

8. line6man

line6man

Ok, quick redraw...
    [​IMG]

9. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but what differences could one expect from the two different wiring schemes? (volume before tone vs. tone before volume)

I've wondered this for a while, but haven't been curious enough to go to the trouble to re-wire one of my P-basses and A/B them.

10. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

Been wondering about the same question. What's the tonal difference between having the tone before or after the volume? Thinking about rewiring my PJ (vol/blend/tone) using one of the two schemes.

11. line6man

line6man

It is not desirable to have the tone control parallel to the output, when the volume pot is wired with its wiper terminal as the output. This is because the signal impedance in this part of the circuit varies considerably with the volume pot's setting. It works better when the tone control is parallel to the pickup, because the impedance is less variable there.

12. KingRazor

KingRazor

I'm sure this is obvious to anyone who understands wiring but for ignorant people such as myself...

Does the tone control being parallel to the pickup mean it comes before or after the volume?

13. line6man

line6man

Before.

14. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

So having a J-bass wired P-bass style is actually "better"?

15. line6man

line6man

There is only one way to wire a Jazz bass if you want two volumes and a tone. There is no choice but to use the wiper terminals of the volume pots as inputs (To avoid muting the output, when either volume is rolled down.) and the tone control parallel to the output. (To allow it to work over both pickups when the volumes are turned down.)

Note, however, that the tone control is parallel to the output, but this is the part of the circuit with the least variation in signal impedance, since the wiper terminals on the volume pots are used as inputs.

16. KingRazor

KingRazor

Do you have this same limitation if you use a blend pot?

17. line6man

line6man

A blend pot is two volume pots in inverse-parallel. So the tone control goes after it. Usually, there is also a master volume pot with its wiper terminal wired as an output, so the tone control goes parallel to the connection between volume and blend.

18. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

Some of the 1980s Fender Jazz Bass Specials (P-J pickups, MIJ) came stock with V-V-T and a 3 way toggle switch. In the middle position, both pickups were on, but each had their own volume.

I found this setup more versatile than the V-T with a 3 way switch found on some of the 1980s Yamaha BB basses.

19. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

Switching the two occupied terminals on the tone pot shouldn't make a difference, right? The "seen" Impedance of the output shunted to ground through the capacitor will be the same. Tone before volume is better because a change in impedance affects rolloff characteristics.