1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P-J bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Justin2552, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Justin2552

Justin2552

I have a Mexican made standard P-bass, I like the feel but not the sound. What I'm looking for a a slit p bass pick up and set of pots that will give me more of a jazz bass sound. Any ideas?
  2. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

I added a SD Stacked humbucker Jazz pick up to mine and it does what you ask. I wired is with separate volume/tone stacked pots so it retains the same 2 pots holing pickguard.
  3. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Depending on how much you feel a need to keep it "stock"...

Take a router to it and add a Jazz bridge pickup (or have someone better with a router than you do that if you are not so good with a router.) Same feel, new sound options.

Buy a body that's already set up that way.

Buy a bass that's already set up that way.
  4. Justin2552

Justin2552

I really don't want to cut it out, I'm more so just looking for suggestions on a nice poppy pick up.
  5. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

wire the P pickup in parallel, instead of series, and you'll get closer to J tone.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

eh, not really. you'll just get a thinner, weaker P tone.

if you don't want to cut into it, then the only option is to sell it and get a jazz.
  7. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

I would rather take a Jazz and swap the neck pickup out for a P pickup.
    I think PJs sound cooool.