P/J Body Recommendations

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by you_never_know, Apr 3, 2014.

1. you_never_know

you_never_know

I have a gorgeous Phil Kubicki P-Bass neck with a ebony board that I'm going to put into a project. I already have a P/J set of Duncan SPB3's that I've had lying around for some time. I think I'm going to go with VBT wiring. I really only need to settle on a body, bridge, and strings.

What do you recommend for wood, finish, and manufacturer? I'm pretty happy with a Warmoth body that I put on a Telecaster (also with a Kubicki neck), so I was leaning towards Warmoth. But, if there's some old Fender P-bass body that someone has already mutilated to install a J-bass pickup, I could go that way, too. I can file the nut any way I want, so I can perfectly match any set of strings. I also have an opportunity to put any bridge I want on it.

My other two basses are an old Yamaha BB1200 with Deep Talkin' flat wounds, and an old G&L L2000 with Rotosounds. I play a B15R. If there's some additional sonic territory you think I can cover though wood, string and bridge selection, I'd like your thoughts.

This isn't intended to be a super serious discussion, as I've already made some decisions that dictate what this bass will be. All ideas and opinions, no matter how half-baked, are appreciated.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Some ideas, with varying coefficients of bakeness:

J at the bridge, P in the middle but reversed zig-zag

Reversed P at the bridge, J at the neck

As above, but Rickenbacker pickup positions

Fenderbird!

I don't think your choice of bridge matters much, as long as it's a quality unit. As long as it's not flimsy, I say choose on your preferences regarding adjustability and aesthetics.

Consider Mahogany or Walnut for the body wood. Not because of any quantitative contributions, but they are woods that you don't have yet, and they should provide a somewhat different tone.

3. you_never_know

you_never_know

Fenderbird? Like a Firebird with a P bass neck?

4. ctmullins

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. you_never_know

you_never_know

Oh, right. Duh! Oh, actually, I mean not duh. So the bass is a Thunderbird and not a Firebird. Never noticed that.

No, I couldn't do that. That's too, umm, well, I don't know. Too something!

7. ctmullins

LOL! Okay then. How about a [del]Flying V with a Kahler trem[/del] chambered mahogany Jaguar with a quilt or flame maple top?

8. you_never_know

you_never_know

I'm going to bake that idea a little more ...