P/J matchup - Fender Original 1962 P Bass Pickup + DiMarzio DP148 Ultra Jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jeffkew, Dec 21, 2013.

1. jeffkew

jeffkew Bass Curious Supporting Member

I'm looking for opinions or experience with how DiMarzio DP148 Ultra Jazz would match up with Fender Original 1962 P Bass Pickup. I've already installed the 62 P bass pickup in my fender jaguar modern player - would the ultra jazz work well with it?

2. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

I have one in the bass I just ordered and the owner mentioned that it's one of the hotter pup's out there which is a good thing for a p/j because of the strength of the P pup. They seem to be THE choice but , hey, who knows.

3. jeffkew

Thanks for the input!

4. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

I have tried this combination and it is a popular one, but for me it did not work. The Ultra-J bridge is a little bright for my tastes and it doesn't musically blend with the superb '62 reissue P in my opinion. To me, I don't need matched level. I need a musical blend. I rarely solo a bridge pickup. I do love the Jaco sound, but I get that by plucking close to the bridge and allowing the neck pickup to fill in the lows for the bridge, even if it is not full on. I look for midrange sweetness in a bridge pickup. The Ultra J is recessed in the mids and hot in the highs and lows.

Overall, I think the Ultra-J set is a nice modern sounding pickup set, but not a good match for the 62 RIP.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

the area J will match every bit as well as a real single coil, just without the noise.

i even find it to be reasonably balanced with the P pickup.

7. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

Good call.

8. panamonte

panamonte

This is the combination I put in my American Deluxe P and IMO they work really well together.

9. jeffkew

Do you mean the 62 original + the ultra jazz?

10. panamonte

panamonte

Sorry, that was a bit unclear wasn't it? Yes, I do mean the 62 and the Ultrajazz. I agree that the UJ has a wide frequency range (including a pronounced top end), but I just knock the tone back a bit. I think the two pickups are well matched for output and blend very pleasingly. YMMV.

11. GFinnsson

GFinnsson

In my opinion try the Dimarzio Model J with the 62. It will blend perfectly

12. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Supporting Member

I was going to go this exact same route in my Squier VM PJ. I really needed a bridge pup that didn't buzz, and already had the Fender 62RI pup.
    Luckily for me I couldn't get just the bridge model J pup, so turned to the Fender Super 55 jack pup. This is quit a thick sounding jazz pup and I love it. It's solid enough to use on its own, but blends well with the fender P pup. It's not quite as growly as the stock Squier pup! but good enough to add that extra growl to the P tone.
    I now have a Fralin in at the neck position now, but to be honest I don't really hear much difference between the two. Again, the super 55 blends in really well with that as well.

Just another option possibly worth think it about.