P/J passive $500 ~ $800

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wrench45us, Nov 10, 2012.

1. wrench45us

wrench45us

oh and in a 5 string
    what are my decent choices?

consider GC is having a big sale through Sunday

MF 15% off in the same time frame

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Yamaha BB425x

/discussion

(AFAIC)

3. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Used Fender MIM Special P/J (passive 3-knob controls - not 4 knobs like the newer active models). They'll run used for around $400-500. That's the only other alternative I can think of besides what hrodbert said. In that price range, the selection is pretty damn thin.

4. DuShauh

DuShauh Supporting Member

+1

or, if you can up your standards a bit...Yamaha BB1025X.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Yeah - I didn't mean to be too presumptuous, but the manufacturers all seem to assume that five-string players want active electronics for some reason. There's not a lot of passive fivers out there at any price point with any pickup configuration.

7. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Man, you've said it! In the 6-string area, it's worse. I can only think of that peavey bass as being the only 6-string passive (...and an SX jazz). Other than that, everything else is active. Very slim picks regardless of the price point for a passive 5er or 6er.

8. wrench45us

wrench45us

Thanks;.I thought I was missing something but it seems that's the way it is.

9. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

I bought a used active MIK Tune Bass Maniac PJ5 from GC for $250 and it's well built, sounds great, rosewood on maple on super light swamp ash. Time is money. If you have time to wait for the good deal, you save gobs.

10. kjpollo

kjpollo

Schecter used to make a 5 string version of the passive Model T but IIRC it had J-J pups. You can probably find a used one for below your price range but the pickups arent what you want. :(

Schecter also makes a 5 string version of their Diamond P- its passive but it doesnt have classic P-J pups either. It does have the P, but it has a double J bucker at the bridge. American Music Supply has it for $499. GC had a 4 string version awhile back- I played and I liked it but I ended up getting a better deal on a Model T 4 banger instead.
    ***EDIT- correct price on the 5 string Diamond P i s$549, SORRY*****

But yeah, a passive P-J 5er is a pretty rare bird!

11. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

+1

12. jlepre

jlepre

+1 for the Schecter Diamond P 5. It is a very solid bass, and has alot to offer for around the $500 mark.

13. wrench45us

wrench45us

Schecter Diamond P 5 is 35" scale

some seem to readily adapt from 34", but I played a Lakland for a few minutes in a store, under close supervsion, and I'm pretty sure I'm not one of them.

14. kjpollo

kjpollo

Thats too bad because the Schecters are very underrated basses (IMO of course). Otherwise it comes very close to your specs within your price range.

Of course, you can always go custom but you'll never get a custom build to your specs in your price range.

Just for ha-ha's I even went to Rondo Music (home of the ubiquitous SX line) and the only passive 5's they have right now are J's so even they cant help you ATM. Though there models are known to change periodically so you never know when Kurt might get in a bass that does meet your specs.

15. mizu

mizu

Yamaha BB5000's are kinda nice, but they are rare. And 16mm string spacing is not everyone's cup of tea.