P+J pickup recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cv115505, Jan 20, 2014.

1. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Doing a custom build with my father and a local luthier... I know I want it to be a P+J configuration, but I am wondering what recommendations you guys have. I want to be able to solo pickups with no hum so they do need to be humbuckers of sorts. I am leaning towards the Aguilar set, but I would love to hear what you guys think.
  2. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

I'm also considering split coil jazz pickups....
  3. edencab

edencab

I have heard very good things about Bill Lawrence pups.......I am this close to getting some myself.....search TB for other members experiences
  4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Aguilar.

I got a set last summer and they really thought this set through. Hum cancelling J (any volume ratio is dead quiet) with a comparable output to the P.

Great tone.
  5. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    I used a Duncan SPB-1 and a STK-J2 and they sounded Awesome together, just another thought.
  6. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

EMG's always sound nice.
  7. 4OnTheFloor

4OnTheFloor Supporting Member

Just got a set of the Aguilar PJ. It is really well balanced between the p and j volume wise. It is really crisp and clear. Both pickups on full gives a very balanced, professional sound. Each pickup solo gives a very good, although very "edgy/hifi" representation of their respective Fender counterpart. The bass I have this in has an MIA precision neck, MIA jazz body routed for the P pickup in the correct position and a Pickguard from Warmoth. The pups are set up passive for now. My problem is the timbre. This pickup set seems like it is perfect for rock. I don't play rock and that is my dilemma. I you play rock, the Aguilar set is highly recommended. I have had no luck with getting a nice "finger funk" tone out of it, but that's what my jazz is for. As always all the above is IMO, YMMV, etc

PS the bass is wearing DAddario Chromes flat wounds ATM.
  8. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    I'm a fan of the Nordstrand NPJ set. They are quiet, very detailed & articulate. I have them in 4 different basses.
    I play mostly Jazz, Blues and Western Swing.
    Rocky
  9. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Yes, they are a great set for rock tone and are pretty zingy with everything wide open, but I have no trouble taking that edge off and I'm playing rounds. Chromes tend to be a bit clangy and bright for flats. I would say try a set of GHS flats sometime. Much smoother sounding.

Anyway, roll off the highs a bit and give a bump around 400-600Hz. I really like that with the highs rolled of they still maintain great definition. I'm not a fan of hi-fi/edgy and these easily provide that great muscular support.

FYI, I'm running mine passive V-V-T and play finger style only. They suit me perfectly.
  10. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

X2, I've also used this combo in a couple PJ basses, and get a variety of good tones.

I use 2 500k volume pots, and a Fender TBX tone control (volume-volume-tone set-up).
  11. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

12. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

I was going to suggest the OP consider the Lindy Fralin PJ's, but those Geezer Butler EMG's look nice!
  13. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Supporting Member

Ive got a Fralin P and a Fender Super 55 jazz pup in my PJ and they seem to go well together.
    The Super 55 is humbucking and seems completely noiseless when used, unlike the stock pup i had in it.
    Its got quite a punchy tone as well, more than usable on its own