P/J pickup suggestion PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by davidchampoux, Dec 12, 2012.

1. davidchampoux

davidchampoux Supporting Member

Ok, before I finally give up with this beautiful Fender Custom Shop P-Bass Pro 2012, I want to try another bridge pickup...

The fact is that I really like the P pickup that came with the bass. Nice bite, tight bottom. But I didn't like the original bridge single coil (noisy) pickup so I swapped it for a Fender Super 55 (split coils). No noise anymore, but I'm not 'in love' with the tone with both puckup ON... A little thin to my ear... I was hoping for a 'real' J-Bass tone... Both pickup are DC resistance matched though.

I think I need a 'meatier' bridge pickup. And it has to be noiseless. This pickup is in the 70's position so I suppose an overwound pickup would help?

Any suggestion for me PLEASE? :crying:
  2. bassbenj

bassbenj

I used a Dimarzio Ultra J in my PJ and like it very much. And I'm NOT a fan of Fender twin coil pickups which is why I put Fender SCNs (now discontinued) in my MIM Deluxe jazz. Love those too.

That's all I know. You'll have to decide what tone you like.
  3. davidchampoux

Thanks for you reply bassbenj!

Yeah, that one seems interesting! What you think about the DiMarzio Model J™ (D123) ?
  4. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Model J's are very meaty and noiseless...

I had them on a J bass i had and loved them. If you don't like the black adjustable poles, you can contact Dimarzio (or go to your local hardware store) and for $10, you can get silver ones.

Good Luck!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. davidchampoux

I don't mind the black poles, and being adjustable is a big + to me!

The only problem with the Model J is the DC resistance that is 6.82, while my split P pickup is 10.32 ohm. The Ultra J is 12.3, which is closer...

Now the big question: is it really important??
  7. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

My PJ has a Model J in the bridge position, and I think it is a great choice to thicken up a 70s J location. The J in mine is actually even closer to the bridge than a 70s J and the Model J still has just enough midrange meat to allow running the bridge pickup soloed. It is also one of the few J pickups I've tried with enough output in the Jazz position to not get totally overpowered by the average P pickup. My PJ has a G&L P pickup in it, which is about the hottest passive pickup I've ever used, so the Model J is the best choice I've found to pair with it...FWIW, I found the Ultra Js to be a bit too scooped for my taste, but that was in a standard J bass configuration. Also, you can find older Model Js commonly on Ebay with the chrome polepieces (not sure why they changed them at some point), though they usually came in cream pickup covers (which are easy to switch out).
  8. davidchampoux

sunbeast : thanks for the input!! Really appreciated!!
  9. Handyman

Handyman

Keep in mind that the Model J has a ceramic magnet, which is quite a bit more powerful than a typical alnico V magnet you'll find in a P bass pickup.

It'll have more output for the same amount of wire wrapped around it.
  10. davidchampoux

Interesting!...

But a lower resistance on the J pickup will probably affect the P pickup more when they are both 100% ON ? Like kill the tone? In parallel that is...
  11. davidchampoux

Anymore ideas before I order the Dimarzio?
  12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Basslines stacks are very good at sounding like single coils while getting rid of hum.
  13. musicon197

musicon197

Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound. I've put a P/J combo in my Jag bass and replaced my MIM 5 string J-bass's pups with them and both basses are beasts, completely transformed their output and tonal quality. I plan to remove the vintage noiseless J pups I installed on my main 4 string now and will replace both with SD QPs.

They give me exactly the tones I want and they're very powerful, high output. I have installed them with and without extra shielding and have had no noise issues on either, though I don't think I'll ever replace pickups without shielding the cavity again as a matter of practice.

Good luck!
  14. awamori

awamori

If you have no budget at all I recommend the Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2 though they are custom order and take weeks to get delivered.

Other than that DiMarzio Model J and Basslines QP are good cheap alternatives.
  15. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

If you must stay with vintage style pickups, I don't see why you would try anything other than a 10% overwound Lindy Fralin split-coil bridge sized pickup. But if the PJ was my bass, I would likely install a set of EMG PJ's and be done with noise and have great bridge pickup tone for miles. Sorry, that's only if it was my bass thought. :)
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've got an Ultrajazz in the back of my 76 Precision and it works a treat with the 62 Reissue P pickup. Best passive humbucking vintage sounding J pickup I've used. That said, I've used maybe 5 or 6 ;)

EMG's aren't a bad idea either, but they are a good bit cleaner than passives. I like EMG's but I also like passives.
  17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i think the ultra J is gonna be the ticket; it's well louder than the model J (or any or duncan's stacked pickups), so it has a slightly better chance of any kind of balance with a P pickup.

now, did you like the tone of the original single coil?

if so, the area J will come really close, without the noise. it's not as loud, but neither was the original.
  18. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Another vote for EMG's. I really like how they sound in my Aerodyne (using the PJX set)
  19. davidchampoux

I didn't like the tone of the original pickup. Especially when blended with the neck P pu. I'm used to the Jazzbass tone but this P on both PUs sounds 'narrower' than what I want. P pickup alone is fine, nice defined P tone.

Funny enough, I don't complain about the lower J level. Runing on both pickups, I even prefer when the J pickup is not too close to the strings... I'm not really into a solo'ed J type of sound, so I don't really mind if it's a bit under powered VS the P.

I just want a bridge pickup that will match nicely with the P, providing a deep sound rather than some thin/harsh tone like I experience now, both with the stock single coil OR the Super 55...

I'm seriously wondering if the P/J combo is for me... OR if the 70's bridge position could be the problem?
  20. JonKim

JonKim Supporting Member

Seems like you just need a good P
  21. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox

I have dimarzio ultra j in my bridge paired with a dimarzio will power it's a great hi fi sound with more top end and clarity when compared to my other p bass with model pj. The ultra j seems to have more sparkle compared to the model j but despite the mv and dc resistance, it seems like the Model j is a little louder.