P/J question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pickups, Feb 13, 2014.

1. pickups

pickups

i have a new 2013 fender precision that came with 60’s cs pups. Ive changed the strings a few times and it sounds pretty good except I’m missing the bite and highs of the j pup. I plan on adding a j pup but I’m not sure if i should just get a 60’s custom j pup to add or get the Aguilar AG 4P/J-HC set. They are hum canceling I really don’t want the 60 cycle hum and have heard pretty good things about the Aguilar pups. Any thoughts? Thank You
  2. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

I have a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz on mine and the volume is comparable to the p pup.
  3. pickups

pickups

i was thinking of the Dimarzio as well. Do you have a pan or two volumes?
  4. bassthumpersf

bassthumpersf

+1 on the Ultra Jazz. Sound great & balance really well with a P pup.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbenj

bassbenj

I have a Dimarzio ultra jazz (hum cancelling) on my PJ 5 string.

Sound is absolutely GREAT. Hum and noise non-existant. But it only matches volume of p-bass pickups (a NOS Fender 5 string p-bass pickup) when the P-bass is wired in parallel (series or parallel is wired push-pull on volume control). When in normal series mode balance is when P-control (mine is vol-vol) is about 80% of max with J maxed.

I can't speak to 4 string versions of these pickups.
  7. bassie12

bassie12

Media:
    i have a Bill Lawrence Jazz hum canceling paired up with a '62 Fender pickup. Great balance.
  8. pickups

pickups

Sounds a lot more complicated than I thought. Thanks everybody for your help. I guess it's trial and error time!
  9. pickups

pickups

Should the p pickup and the j pickup be 50% each or should one be louder than the other?
  10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Obviously you have two volume controls so you set the mix any way that you like or sounds good to you!

But, that said, generally PJ basses are made so that when both volumes are up full the pickups balance 50-50. But because the P-bass pickup has bigger wider fatter coils it is hotter than a typical Jazz pickup.

Optimum would be to find a jazz pickup with more output. This is something of a problem because the P-bass pickup is hum-cancelling while the jazz pickup is ususally single coil. And that means that single coil hum will never go away. Some PJs are built this way.

On mine I didn't want single coil hum so I went with a hum cancelling ultra J. Works great only hum-cancelling J pickups often have lower outputs than P-pickups. Hence my bass doesn't do 50-50 when both volumes up full.

A common solution is to under-wind the P-bass pickup. That brings it down to balance the J. Which is fine only now you've changed the tone of the p-bass pickup when it's soloed. And this has led to the story that a PJ bass with the P pickup soloed never sounds like a p-bass.

Another answer is just to find a hotter hum cancelling Jazz pickup.

But personally I figure just how important is it that I've got 50-50 with both pickups up full? I guess it depends on how much and how fast you want to adjust the mix. For me just setting 80%-full to get a 50-50 mix works well enough. Like I said there are two volume controls so you pick the mix that gives the tone you want.
  11. Grissle

Grissle

There's the Fender Super 55 also. Sounds like it would match the '60's pickup well.
  12. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    Being that the J pickup is in the bridge position, you can set it higher to even up the pickup outputs.
  13. pickups

pickups

Thanks everybody for the help! Im going to look for some sound samples on youtube before i make a decision on the pups. Cant wait to hear the difference!