P/J string spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SIFJiggy, Mar 14, 2014.

1. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

I'm doing a build and after a quick search on Google and here - nothing that really answers my question.

Squire P body repainted, no name jazz bass neck with standard 1.5" nut width. My plan is to install a new GZR from EMG.

Looking at tuners, the hipshot I like says string spacing is .750. Is that going to line up over the pickup coils properly and accommodate the slimmer neck?

Might be a "no-duh" question and bridge string spacing might be very standardized but despite the crappy squire body- it's my first build so I've left my aspirations get out of hand a bit.

Thanks!
  2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Here's the Hipshot bridge I recently put on a parts-bass I recently assembled;

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hipshot...ount-1---No-String-Through-424096-i1527297.gc

Honestly, I'm not sure what the spacing is (probably .750), but you can fine-tune the strings positions with that third adjuster on top of each saddle (the one that's closest to the tail of the body). Also, if this helps ease your concern, this bridge was previously installed on a Mighty Mite P-body and now resides on a Mighty Mite Jazz body, both of which had Jazz necks installed on them. (well, the Jazz has a Jaguar neck, but six-of-one/half-a-dozen-of-the-other)
  3. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

Sorry just saw this reply. Thanks for the info! Sounds about right to me!