P-J wiring options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thomas-k, Nov 9, 2012.

1. thomas-k

thomas-k

HI,

I have a parts P bass that I put together sometime ago, and thought about adding a J pup in the bridge position.

The goal would be to have that added high end/snap when both pups are on.
    I see most P-J are wired with either V/V/T or Blend/V/T or even the parallel/series thing with push pulls etc...

I want to retain the simple features of a P, so I thought about a kind of tele wiring (only with 250 pots) : 3 way switch (neck/both/bridge), with V and T, the balance between the pups would only be obtained by pup height...

What do you guys think ?
  2. tabdog

tabdog

I think you would get a brighter tone if
    you put the J pup close to the bridge.
    Putting it in the neck position will be
    darker,

Tabdog
  3. thomas-k

thomas-k

Yes of course, typo, I mean a J pup in the bridge position of course, editing the OP now...
  4. Bobster

Bobster

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I modded my P to a P/J and put the J in the 60's position. Fully active EMG setup with a EMG concentric vol/vol knob and a BTC.
  7. BarkerBass

BarkerBass

In my experience with my P/J bass the Jazzpickup has to be in the right position to add zing to the big meaty Pbass pickup's tone. I found this changed greatly depending on the pickup and the closeness to the bridge. For me the 60's position sounded best with the jazz pickup tighteneing up the Bpass tone and adding a nice top end zing but any closer to the bridge the jazz got too burpy and not enough bite and so the tone when blended got punchy and tight but no top end increase/help.

I also found that a true single coil has more bite than a humbucking J but then you do have to contend with hum when blended.

For me, the V/B/T and the V/V/T wiring have both worked fine, I like changing it up but I will admit I have been very tempted to install a 3 way switch recently as I like it on my other basses and it makes quick noticeable tone changes very easy, even if less "flexible".... :rolleyes:
  8. thomas-k

thomas-k

OK, so I did a quick search that found nothing, where's the 60's position ? (distance from 12th fret or from bridge?)
    Thanks
  9. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

V,T, 3-way switch is best IMO.
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    70's spacing has the bridge pickup 1/4" closer to the bridge.
  11. Olde Axeman

Olde Axeman

12. line6man

line6man

One 250k volume is the same as two 500k volumes. Not any brighter than usual.
  13. thomas-k

thomas-k

Thanks, OldeAxeman.