1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

P Neck Profiles

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philibuster, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

So I'm a P guy, thru and thru, I've discovered. I have an 11 Am Std in CCR with maple fretboard that I love and want an Am Std Oly white with a rosewood fretboard… The neck on my 11 is great- not quite a baseball bat but nowhere close to a pencil.

However, here is my situation. All of the 2013s I try seem to have a thinner (front to back) profile than my 11… When Fender did their updates from the 08-11 models to the 12-present models was this a change across the board or JUST 13 thing? Are the 2012s neck profiles more similar to the 11s or 13s?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Are you certain? Are you comparing rosewood fingerboard necks to instruments with maple fingerboard necks?

If not, could it be that the difference is attributable to set up, string tension or some other imponderable?

3. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8

Are you sure you didn't try some American Specials? They have a distinctly thinner front-to-back profile.

4. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

I am comparing rosewood fingerboard necks to maple fingerboard necks… Pardon my ignorance, as I've never heard of one, but is there a difference? I will not rule out set up, string tension, etc., but I notice a difference in the feel of the neck. As stated, I am comparing an '11 AmStd to a '13 AmStd but I never read about neck profile changes among the other changes; that's why I was wondering.

A great point, but not the case in my situation. :meh:

5. Register to disable this ad