1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P or T Bird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klejst, Aug 18, 2013.

1. klejst

klejst

I have been a long time user of Fender Precision (P) basses however I am looking into trying something new this time around, I have been looking into the standard four string Epiphone Thunderbird basses. None of the music stores locally have one in stock, but I am looking for opinions if anyone else went from a P to a T Bird and how you like it? I play rock and I know both basses are pretty good for that. I like the look of the T Bird and the sound (from You Tube videos I have checked out.)
  2. kjpollo

kjpollo Supporting Member

Just make sure you're comfortable with the different body shape of the TBird- its not for everybody. They also seem to lend themselves more to pickstyle playing. Not saying fingerstyle doesnt happen but it seems to be less common with the body shape.
    For more info TBird1958 here on TB is a TERRIFIC person to contact. He's pretty much our resident TBird expert.
  3. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I wanted one till I bought one. The affair lasted less than a day and she went back to the store. Award and uncomfy
  4. Apocalypse Dude

Apocalypse Dude

Don't buy a T-Bird until you play one standing up. They're not for everybody.
  5. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    The Epiphone to get is the "Classic", @ $500.00 it's a total winner, 7 ply neck and U.S made pickups. The other models are not anywhere near the quality, comfort, playability or tone. Buy from a good on-line dealer like Sweetwater>

Rainy day non Subaru pic ;)
    [​IMG]
  6. IPA

IPA

I would STRONGLY recommend checking out the classic IV thunderbird--neck thru, better pickups, better neck profile,overall much better than the standard one.
  7. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

I'm guessing that the tbird is around 3" longer than the p bass.The way it hangs and the reach to the 1st fret feels diferent than the p also.Find one and try it out.I have a GIBSON ,an EPI, and a CATALDO.I love mine,but as stated above they aren't for everybody.
  8. IPA

IPA

That white one is killer, love it.
  9. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

I don't own a tbird but i would like to at some point. They are different yet similar imo. Physical differences are obvious: 2 pickups, body shape, neck, etc etc.
    Yes, generally speaking, more neck dive on the tbird (FROM MY EXPERIENCE ONLY!).

If i had a dream setup:
    Matt freeman pbass with SPB-3 and rounds
    Fender 50s pbass laquer with flats
    Gibson thunderbird with stainless steel rounds.

Not trying to jack the thread, sorry. Please proceed :D
  10. TBird1958

Disclosures:
    The Epiphone "Classic" has a slightly revised body shape with better upper fret access - it's on the right, compared to my '89 Gibson.

[​IMG]
  11. blackest_frank

blackest_frank

This.
    I moved from a Jazz to a Tbird and it was an adjustment for sure. After almost a year, I find it really difficult to play my Jazz again. Compensating for neck dive, the long long reach...it's an acquired taste for sure.
  12. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

i'm a lifer P person, and the tbird is the only alternative outside the occasional G&L or ATK 800.
  13. TBird1958

Disclosures:
    Dave Hill!

Awesome avatar ;)
  14. spaz21387

spaz21387

I love p basses. But Ever since I got a sub ray. I dont find myself playing other basses much. Go try one at 280$ you really should check one out.
  15. inate_hex

inate_hex

T birds just look so cool. Total R' n R'. I think a Gibson T bird may be my next purchase. They are iconic instruments. What you could do is buy a second hand hand one to try. If you don't like it you could sell it and probably get your money back.
  16. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Get the neck through T Bird, the bolt neck isn't anywhere near as nice (in my opinion)
  17. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member Supporting Member

Ya might want to try out some jazzes or P/J's first. Avoid neck dive for sure--it can totally ruin what might otherwise be a nice experience.
  18. darkstorm

darkstorm

Tbirds come with Bad neck dive, & awkward reach to nut as very basic things about them. Diff a try before buy bass.
  19. klejst

klejst

I knew about the neck dive (which can be helped with a decent strap or moving the horn strap button to the back) and also about the weird body shape and what seems longer neck, however they always intrigued me. I have been eye'ing a couple used Epi T-birds off Guitar Center's site for less then $200 and I would love to own one of the better The Epiphone Classics however it's out of my price range. Saw one on GC's site used but it was still in the high $300+ range. Like I said no one around here has one in stock, I may just stick with a P since it's what I already know and love, but I totally want to check out something different though and like I said the T Bird always intrigued me.
  20. eccles77

eccles77

I`ve owned several T birds and as much as I love the look and sound of them, they are just too uncomfortable for me. I play finger style, resting my thumb on the pickup. If I do this on the the Tbird (resting my thumb on the neck pickup), I find that after about 10 mins the muscle round about my thumb becomes painful due I think to the shape of the body. This may just be me by the way.

So for me, great sound, killer looks but give me back my P bass.