1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P pickup that sounds like a J pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jaco Taco, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

I know this sounds weird, but is there a P pickup that sounds a bit like a J pickup? Like if I put it in the J bridge position it will sound like a J pickup there?
  2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Wire it parallel instead of series and it will sound more like a Jazz Bass
  3. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

You mean parallel with respect to each split coil?
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

blegh, even then it just sounds like a weaker P.

sorry, you can't get there from here (although P and neck J pickups are not wildly different in the mix, really).
  5. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Yeah, I kinda figured. I was just wondering if there is a specific P made by somebody that has the sonic characteristics of a typical J.
  6. Teacher

Teacher

I know I sound like a shill on the subject, but I've read (no personal experience yet) that the Wilde wired that way actually sounds very good and more J-like.
  7. soulman969

soulman969

The answer is not really because they're two very different type of pickups. It's like asking for a Gibson Humbucker (which a split coil is similar to) to sound like a Telecaster or Strat single coil (which a JBass pickup is similar to). They don't.

If you don't like the idea of wiring it in parallel then the closest you'll probably come is a vintage '50s PBass pickup. The one Fender used before they came out with the spit coil design. The problem there is it may not fit the rout very well and you'll need a new pickguard to fit it.

Just buy a JBass Jaco. Everyone needs one of each anyway. ;)
  8. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

True. :bassist:
  9. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

Yea, the position has alot to do with the sound. A P pickup installed closer to the bridge, is going to be brighter with less bottom and more "bark". It still sounds more P than J, but adds some punch/attack, like the bridge J does. I like the SPB-3 in the bridge position on my dual P bass. Not that it sounds like a J, but that it works well close to the bridge. A series/parallel switch would be interesting, DiMarzio model P is offered with a mini-switch and is intended to be wired that way. A pull/pot would be a neater way to switch it I think.
  10. Cadfael

Cadfael

Like 99% of his posts - I agree with Walter ...

The P is a humbucker, the J is a singlecoil ...
    You can't get a real Strat or Tele (SC) sound by a Les Paul (HB) ...

The most you can do is to put the split coil PUs as low as possible (with ouput that is okay). This makes the sound less mid dominated.
    But a humbucker will never have the "directness" of a singlecoil. A singlecoil will never have the punch of a HB ...
  11. mcnach

mcnach

If placed at the same spot as the J, it sort of sounds like a J would. Sort of. Just like a Jazz neck pickup approximates a Precision. Not quite the same, but you get the "spirit".

Many of the dual P basses out there have the bridge pickup roughly at the Jazz bridge position, sometimes even closer to the bridge... They generally sound like a fatter type of Jazz, although distinct enough from one. With the coils in parallel they sound a bit weak, to me (one of the dual P basses I had was a Westone with a few switches that allowed various combinations)... But in series it's a nice fat type of Jazz, if you put the pickup at the right place. Not a Jazz, but a lot more Jazz like than Precision like
  12. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Yeah, thanks for your response. I actually do have 2 double P basses, one fretted and one fretless, and you're right, the bridge pickup sounds a little like a Jazz in that position.
  13. markanini

markanini

Wilde P-46
  14. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Putting the coils in parallel shoots the resonance peak up to a much too high frequency.

Theoretically you can use a load capacitor to get it back to a reasonable frequency but that will involve a bit of experimentation.

In any case, position really, really matters.
  15. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

This does sound weird.

I'm assuming that since you'll be adding this bridge P pickup to your bass, your bass must be a single pickup P bass (with no current bridge pickup at all).

If that's the case, why not add a J pickup by the bridge?

A JB pickup has a much better chance at sounding like a JB pickup than a PB pickup has.