1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P, PJ, JJ all in one bass idea. I may embark on this project if its possible.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KayXero, Dec 25, 2013.

1. KayXero

KayXero

So as some may know, Im partial to the PJ bass. I get that P tone solo'd, but also a versatile J bridge pup when needed.

But I do also enjoy the tone of a jazz bass, I just have personally never bought one because I dislike the body design very much. Its too big and clunky for my taste, and feels less comfy than a P bass/Strat body style.

But then a while ago I got intrigued by basses out there that have a P pickup but also both J pups...Stu Hamms signature Fender for example. Ive seen different examples of these types of basses. Some are PJJ, while others are JPJ.

But the thing is, I always wondered about pickup wiring and switching between pups. So heres my main question;

Is it possible to wire such a 3 pickup bass in a way, that you could achieve, solo P tone, PJ tone, but then also JJ tone? With the P in the middle, Id be able to solo the P, combine it with both Js, but then I wouldnt be able to put the Js together? So far Ive found a 5 switch 3 pup bass online, but of course the neck and bridge pup couldnt be combine.

Is such wiring even possible to get solo P, PJ tone, and JJ options in a bass? Or is that asking too much? I know, I know, Im being greedy by trying to get the best of all 3 worlds. But Ive pondered this for a while and havent found any guitar or bass wiring diagrams with anything similar to what Id want to achieve.

Its fun to think about though. Imagine all those options in one passive bass? Check this link. http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/bass_guitars/019-1500A_SISD.pdf

Its from stu hamms bass. But that also has active pickups and wiring involved. Is it possible to wire things up and get solo P, PJ, and JJ in one passive bass?
  2. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

If nothing else, you could install on/off toggle switches for each pickup. You wouldn't have a 'blend' function, but you'd have 7 combinations. 8 if you include all pickups 'off' :)
  3. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

the setup i would go for is P-volume, J-volume(both pickups), master tone, 3-way switch for J-pickups. then you could have any combination of all 3.
  4. KayXero

KayXero

Sweet. Sounds like a good idea. Do any such possible wiring diagrams exist for this passively?

Also, is it possible to have a toggle switch for each pickup and give the P and J separate tone/volume controls? Or is that asking too much. Im a stickler for control, and I wonder if theres wiring limitations in what Im asking.
  5. PJSim

PJSim

6. KayXero

KayXero

7. RobbieK

RobbieK

It's pretty simple really. You need to be able to switch between the neck J and the P. A push-pull on your vol is ideal. Run the output of this to the blend pot. Pull up for Jazz bass, and down for PJ. (Or vice-versa of course.)
  8. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Take the standard Jazz bass VVT wiring which you can find anywhere, Fender's web site included. Put either a DPDT/SPDT switch or a DPDT-ON-ON-ON switch between the neck volume control and the neck Jazz and P pickups. The switch will let you select either the Jazz or Precision pickup for the neck volume control and if you use the ON-ON-ON switch you will also be able to select both. That will allow you to electrically select the JJ or PJ configurations and you can use the volume control to solo any of the three pickups which allows you to get the P configuration. However one half of the Precision pickup needs to go where the neck Jazz pickup needs to go to get an authentic Precision and Jazz sound so one of the neck pickups will not be able to go in the right place. You will have to compromise or build a custom split pickup with two D/G string coils, one in the Jazz position the other in the Precision position....
  9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Either the P or the neck J pickup would have to be in the "wrong" position, if that matters to you.
  10. Justice

Justice

Disclosures:
    mmmm delicious cake...
    It's called the Fender Urge bass...

Attached Files:

11. KayXero

KayXero

Id put the neck J in the "wrong" position. The P tone I want to be spot on. I just want the option of the J neck pup, which is why I had this idea.
  12. KayXero

KayXero

13. JustForSport

JustForSport

It can be wired like a Strat with a 5-way switch, but adding a push-pull or push-push vol pot to tie the 2 jazz pups together when in the neck or bridge position (2 knobs, 1 5-way).
    I've set up a couple guitars that way, even splitting the humbucker bridge to have r/w, r/p single coils together. Just requires 1 extra switch (2 knobs, 1 5-way, 1 toggle).
    Or add a lot of switches and knobs to control each pup, but then interaction with each other becomes an issue.
    http://www.landingbass.com/additional pic 7 L32.html
  14. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Its still not going to sound exactly like each one of those basses. Even with a switch, the pickup magnets will still interact with each other(as well as pull on the strings). You can try it, just don't expect it to nail the sounds of a P/PJ/JJ. It will simply be a versatile bass.
  15. KayXero

KayXero

Versatile works for me, even if its not right on the money.

Im attempting to employ the services of Buzzards Bass Shop in MA. Apparently they do a lot of projects and setups on SX basses, and I was going to use a short scale SX PJ as my cheap startup for this project.

Look at the modification they did to this Lotus P bass copy.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/show-your-red-basses-688968/index8.html#post9792668

This is the exact look I want. I just have to go over switch, tone, and volume control options with the owner. Hopefully he has time to do this project.