1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

P project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohnM2001, Jan 29, 2014.

1. JohnM2001

JohnM2001

Have a parts P, with MII Squier boat anchor body, bass weighs in at 9.5 lb., the black one below.

Grabbed a clearance blem P body off Guitarfetish for $35.00. Body weighs 2.25 lb I'm thinking I may end up at around 6.5lb. :D

Reliced it up a bit with a few dings and some kiwi brown, as I like the worn look. Gonna use that same tort guard and hardware, should be fun to see how it comes out.

Attached Files:

2. JohnM2001

JohnM2001

Got it all put together, weighs in at 6.0 lb, a real featherweight. Sounds and plays great, was going for a '62 P look.

Attached Files:

3. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What kind of wood is the body made from? Did the reduction in weight of the body cause any neck drive?

4. sjeverett

sjeverett

How was the routing on the GF body? Neck nice and tight?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JohnM2001

JohnM2001

Neck pocket was too tight, needed widening, for my MII Squier neck. Also, no wire channel to bridge, so that needed to be drilled. Many of these GFS bodies seem to need some work for a good fit, despite their gushing claims. Wood is that lightweight paulownia, super light, very soft, but serves up a super lightweight bass with good tone, did not notice any severe neck dive.

7. sjeverett

sjeverett

I have a cheap Dean guitar made of same wood. Soft but sounds good. Id rather have the neckpocket too tight than too loose. Thanks for the heads up. I may try one out.