P-pup differences '58 vs '63

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fletz, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    Hey there -

I have decided I am going to build and order an American design experience bass from Fender (http://www.fender.com/american-design/) ASAP. I am just torn on which pickups to put into the P-bass I am designing.

Can anyone compare the American Standard to the Vintage '63 to the Vintage '58. I have recently put the '63s in my American Standard '08 - swapped out the American Standards in there. The difference to me is the '63s sounded fuller than the standard. The standard sounded almost sterile I guess. Not familiar with the 58s at all though. I am thinking of putting the 58s in my design to have a different tone than the 63s but am not sure how one would describe that sound.

Any thoughts, as usual, are appreciated.

Peace.
  2. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka Supporting Member

where did you get the '63 pickups? i haven't been able to find any yet...
  3. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  4. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Just found this. Just what I needed! Think I'm going '58
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. greengoblin

greengoblin

This is a bit off from the question you have asked. But, at the moment, my favorite p/u is a Mike Dirnt '59.. Have been wondering how the Pure Vintage Fender '58 compares...
  7. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  8. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
  9. jmpiwonka

10. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    They are two of the three options on the American Design Experience.
  11. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

12. jmpiwonka

^ interesting that the 58 is wound to a lower dcr than any of the other pickups but it is rated to have the most mids.

based on the spb-1 i have, i would rate it more like the 63 fender pickup, big bass, lots of low mids, good mids, thick almost recessed sounding highs. good output and the bass and low mids make it smooth sounding.

the 62 i got measures 10.8k, has less low mids than the spb-1, the upper mids give it a good aggressive growl (kind of how the 58 bass sounds in those you tube videos) if you dig in, it's also pretty clear and woody sounding. a little less output than the spb-1.
  13. GregT

GregT

14. telecopy

telecopy

I posted the question about how the three P Bass choices sound at the Fender American Design Experience over in General Forum, Basses today. I should have looked here first.. But I'm getting better at the search functions!

Thanks for the information about the P tones. How different are the "vintage" tones from the modern American P pickup? Is the modern more bright toned?
  15. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

I currently have both pickups on hand. I have the 63 in a Fender 63 AVRI P bass.
    The 58 is a Fender aftermarket pickup sold under their True Vintage brand. It's the same pickup that comes in the Fender 58 P reissue.
    I have this pickup for sale in the classified.

The 58 has raised pole on the A strings, a period correct feature. The 63 has flat poles.

In the past I have not been a fan of Fender modern pickups. Even the custom shops were pretty average IMHO. Both new pickups are terrific and capture the tone of the era they are supposed to represent. Fender has worked pretty hard to improve the quality of their pickups and have now products that are competitive with any of the boutique guys (Lollar, Nordstrand, Fralin...). They might even be better but this boils down to a matter of taste.

The 58 is more scooped, it has more bass and also crisper highs. The highs always remain natural and are never aggressive. That pickup is capable of a lot air. The 63 is warmer more woolly and offer both less pounding bass and less crisp highs. The pickup shines by its balance however.
  16. telecopy

telecopy

Thanks. I'm seriously considering getting one of these F.A.D.E. (Did I just make up a new acronym?) basses..
    Someday..
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good to hear Fender's making a decent sounding P pickup again, though I gave up on them. They really botched it for a few years.
  18. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    When my ADE comes in I'll a/b them for you. I have the 62 in my American standard and am getting a 58 in my ADE
  19. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

Note the 62 AVRI P and the 63 AVRI pickups are totally different animals.
    I personally like the 63 AVRI pickup a lot better than the 62.
    I had that pickup in my Fender AVRI 62 P Bass and could not take that pickup. I upgraded it to SD Ant II.