P related stuff

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Nov 12, 2012.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Anyone add a single coil P pickup to their pbass which has a split coil P?
    I was thinking of this earlier today.
    For those of you who do, where did you place the single P? what does it sound like when both pickups are on? any general thoughts or warnings?

thanks for reading this almost pointless thread and sorry if i have wasted your time :D

:bassist::bassist::bassist:
  2. line6man

line6man

Given the uncertainty of the end result, I would not be inclined to want to do such a thing when the pickups will not humcancel and are likely to have dissimilar output impedances that will affect the way they blend together. If you don't have anything specific in mind, stick with options you know will work well. On the other hand, it could turn out great. You would have to try it to know.

Concerning pickup placement, I would not want the single coil too close to the bridge, given that there may already be output level difference that you don't want to make worse.
  3. mcm

mcm

good question. bump.
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

considering they were both designed to go in almost the same spot, i don't see the point.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Try it. Make a small jig from some blocks of wood to that you can temporarily mount the new pickup above the strings. Play it and see how it sounds. :)
  7. mrbell321

mrbell321

8. miles'tone

miles'tone

That is a fantastic idea! One that would be applicable to any bass/pickup
    you could move it around to find the perfect spot instead of rolling the dice with a router. Clever!

In a similar way to what the OP is thinking,I've always fancied getting a '50's style SC P-bass and adding another SC P pup in the same spot you'd find a jazz bridge pup.
    Both wired to a series/parallel switch. Vol/vol on a stack knob, single tone.
    Reckon hitting them both in series would be something special.
  9. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    mrbell321; That's actually a Mustang bass (w/competition stripes); in your pic, the bass has it's stock Mustang pickup. She eventually did replace the pickup with a Precision model:
    [​IMG].

Another take on this is the late Carl Radle, who played a modified 68 Tele bass with a split P p/u in the standard position & the original single coil P pickup mounted closer to the bridge. There is a great thread about a replica build of this bass:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/my-carl-radle-68-tele-p-bass-project-589342/

Moonshine :bassist:
  10. mrbell321

mrbell321

D'oh! I knew that too. I think. Here she is w/ a MusicMaster, though.
    [​IMG]
  11. Mikhail

Mikhail

I recently had this bass set up for me by a long time friend and guitar guru. Both pickups run simultaneously, regulated by the common volume and tone controls. I don't think there's such a thing as "Holy Grail" tone, but I really like the way the two pickups sound together, and being a devotee of Carl Radle's approach, I wanted to tap into his vibe as best I could from an aesthetic standpoint. I haven't picked up either of my other basses, a Jazz and a Precision, since I got it, but that is as much about the neck as anything else.

As for the tone, if you've ever heard Joe Cocker's "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" from Mad Dogs & Englishmen you'll get the idea.

[​IMG][/IMG][/QUOTE]