P to P/J; Help me find a good match

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by antotheos, Jan 19, 2014.

1. antotheos

antotheos

OK now. I own a Roger Waters P-Bass and I want to transform it into a P/J, with the jazz pickup in the early 60's position and I'm really worried about finding a good match between the two pickups.

The existing pickup is a Seymour Duncan SPB-3. My concern goes with the Jazz pickup. What I really want is a classic passive pickup that can produce the warm and funky tones the jazz bass is known for, without losing any head on the slap section! AND-most important- I don't want to stumble into any problems e.g. the j-pup being louder than the p one or the two pickups being out of phase. Also (this may help with your possible suggestions), I'm planning on installing stacked knobs so that the pickups have different tone controls.

So if any of you here have any suggestions on which j pickup I should use to get the results I want please post them!! Thnx a lot n rock on!!!
  2. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Best choice would be a SJB -3 (1/4 lber . ) Duncan . Little chance of any jazz pup over powering that SPB-3. I wouldn 't try to use a noiseless / humbucker j with that p pickup.
  3. The_Phoenician

The_Phoenician

I have a Lindy Fralin single-coil in my P/J, and it works great soloed- nice warmth with a bass boost, and a great growl with a lo-mid boost. However, when you blend it with the P pickup, the tone gets a bit thin, which is common with the P/J setup. Hope this helps.
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

you'll never have a problem with a bridge J overpowering a P pickup.

the stock QP may not be the best choice for blending with a J, because it is so hot by comparison.

also, any single coil J will hum, since there's no neck J to cancel with.

don't care for P/Js at all, but if you do go that route my vote is for a vintage-type P and something like the dimarzio area J for the bridge, for a good classic sound without the noise, and decent blend and balance between the two pickups.
  5. Register to disable this ad