1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

P tone with a Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krovx, Mar 15, 2014.

1. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I admit, not a huge P fan but it fits the bill for the mix. Since I tend to like J's or PJs better I usually fake a P with a J. I tend to try to keep my stable low (keeps the wife happy) I can't justify having both when I dig a 4003 and Corvette $$.

I solo the J's neck pickup, tweak the tone control, bump up the mid on my amp, and I am in the ball park for a convincible P tone for me. I know it would be better to have a three way switch, etc. but since I don't play a P with just a P pickup, this works for me.

I admit that I can tell that it is not a P, different mids for sure. Just wondering if anyone else does this or if you think I am missing some key part of the sound that makes a P a P, and I am missing out!

2. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love. Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    J's are single coils P's are humbuckers. Try outfitting your J with humbuckers (ex DiMarzio 123's) will get you quite close, though you may lose some Jness in the process. I have them on my Fernandes "j" and get a very passable P sound out of it.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    I would definitely try the series/parallel mod on your jazz. Bumps the mids and darkens the tone some, gets closer to a P tone. Still maybe not as aggressive as a true P, but definitely closer. Or just buy a P. Squier VMs and CVs are great values, as is a Peavey Fury (p copy).

5. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Nice mod idea. For the wife it's not the price, but the number. Silly, eh?

I thought the squire vm jazz was a great bass for 300 bucks.