P tone with a Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krovx, Mar 15, 2014.

1. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

I admit, not a huge P fan but it fits the bill for the mix. Since I tend to like J's or PJs better I usually fake a P with a J. I tend to try to keep my stable low (keeps the wife happy) I can't justify having both when I dig a 4003 and Corvette $$.

I solo the J's neck pickup, tweak the tone control, bump up the mid on my amp, and I am in the ball park for a convincible P tone for me. I know it would be better to have a three way switch, etc. but since I don't play a P with just a P pickup, this works for me.

I admit that I can tell that it is not a P, different mids for sure. Just wondering if anyone else does this or if you think I am missing some key part of the sound that makes a P a P, and I am missing out!

2. butchblack

butchblack Supporting Member

J's are single coils P's are humbuckers. Try outfitting your J with humbuckers (ex DiMarzio 123's) will get you quite close, though you may lose some Jness in the process. I have them on my Fernandes "j" and get a very passable P sound out of it.

3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I would definitely try the series/parallel mod on your jazz. Bumps the mids and darkens the tone some, gets closer to a P tone. Still maybe not as aggressive as a true P, but definitely closer. Or just buy a P. Squier VMs and CVs are great values, as is a Peavey Fury (p copy).

4. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Nice mod idea. For the wife it's not the price, but the number. Silly, eh?

I thought the squire vm jazz was a great bass for 300 bucks.

5. Register to disable this ad