1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

P vs. J? Game Over?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CharlieC, Nov 30, 2012.

1. I recently recorded audio for another thread that lets one easily hear the major difference between a "P" vs. "J"

I welcome you to visit and listen for yourselves

http://www.zinfanus.com/zoom_b3

Cheers!

2. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Potential problem here is that the J bass is capable of many other sounds other than what you've posted. Sounded to me like the J was just everything wide open.

I do however like what you did there. Interesting to hear it through all those different amp sims. Would be helpful if there wasn't the distortion on every track though. I am not sure if that was intentional or not. At least on my computer every track sounds like it's peaking severely.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Thank you, sir! All bases were indeed "wide open" as each has only one shot at earning your love. <3

The bass tones you heard on my page and the "distortion" there-within were the default amp model parameters of the Zoom B3 effect unit (for which I raise a toast to) and all of which were mainly South of 0-dB on my equipment. (and hence why I also supply the source file for)

At long-last, I am a "P" man now, and you may have my extra Jazz pup and volume knob if you would like it :)

Cheers!

5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

P wins, either way. Sorry.

6. CrashAlpha

CrashAlpha

May 16, 2012
    Montreal
    And that's why I love my Aerodyne - I don't have to choose.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    And yet, I will continue to gig with my J.

Onward turns the world.

8. I love a P. But a J with flats is a sexy thing.

9. Yes sir, and sexy is especially sexy with only 4-strings!

:bag:

10. Bare minimum? :D

11. Indeed! \m/

12. martskre

martskre

Nov 11, 2007
    Norway
    The .mp3s are fine, but the Flash audio player on your site clips like crazy.

13. That most likely is your Internet Service Provider in Norway :) Over here it is rock-solid like in the USA, LOL!

Cheers!

14. martskre

martskre

Nov 11, 2007
    Norway
    Yeah, well, sounds like the player is gaining up the volume which is causing the clipping. I recommend you look into it... or not, you know. Do whatever you want over there in the land of the free... ;)

15. I think we should instead play bass and raise a glass, brother!

Cheers!

16. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    No audio problems here!

Ah, the eternal flame war that is P vs J!

At the risk if throwing gasoline on the embers:
    Love em both but a J is more versatile, you can solo the neck pup on a J and sound very much like a P, and that's just one of the many sounds you can get out of it. Flame on! :-D

17. martskre

martskre

Nov 11, 2007
    Norway
    I couldn't agree more. :D

18. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Several of the sims I listened to were indeed clipping on the attack of the low notes. The DI version was clean.

If my jazz bass sounded like the one in your clips, I wouldn't want to gig with it either. I don't care for that thin scooped thing. But that's not at all the sound I get out of mine, or my Roscoe Beck. That said, I should be taking possession of a 2012 MIA P5 tomorrow, so we'll see what floats to the top...

19. As the Flash player on my HTML page is exclusively playing the same MP3 files through your browser, and ultimately, your hardware and speakers, I would assume the issue is on your side as I and some others have no such issue :) I will instead suggest that we blame TalkBass for this and enjoy ourselves, as that was my only original intention, LOL!

Cheers!

20. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Yeah, what I hear is not really a hard-clipped mp3 file. I think it's just more gain than I would want to put on a "clean" amp sim. I assume it's just a difference in the bass tones we prefer.

Of the two tones you present, I definitely prefer the P.

21. Agreed, sir, and those tones are result of the default settings programmed into the Zoom B3 vs. my 0 dB source signal.

Granted, I could have provided a wimpier level to the sims to combat their eagerness, but that's not how I roll :)

I, too prefer the "P" and for that I salute you.

Cheers!